Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
but also if you're getting a good look from under the basket don't be afraid to stay in there. I kinda like this look when the ball & 7 players are around the hoop, *if* there's enough room for me to back up a few feet.
Hmmmm, interesting. That's not the impression I got at all last fall. I could easily be wrong, tho. I am probably just biased by the fact that I'm so freakin' uncomfortable in the middle of the lane. I don't like it at all. Bottom line, get the best look possible. If you can do that in the lane, then do it.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 01:03pm
Esteemed Participant

So Chuck and Dan, how do you feel about the L official making calls across the key on post plays?? Obviously you guys come from the men's side of things (NCAA) and my NCAA background is the women's game...I absolutely cringe every time the L calls something on the far side of the key and the C doesn't have a whistle...I know that's ok in the men's game, but I still feel that if it's a real foul, the C has a much better look in most cases...some of the replays would seem to back that up...how have you felt about that part of the game so far??
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
So Chuck and Dan, how do you feel about the L official making calls across the key on post plays?? Obviously you guys come from the men's side of things (NCAA) and my NCAA background is the women's game...I absolutely cringe every time the L calls something on the far side of the key and the C doesn't have a whistle...I know that's ok in the men's game, but I still feel that if it's a real foul, the C has a much better look in most cases...some of the replays would seem to back that up...how have you felt about that part of the game so far??
Generally if you're not over there & it's too late to get over there then stay on the weak side & let the C referee the low post play. If it's a drive out of the C's area to the basket then the L might grab it, if he sees something obvious that the C doesn't. I prefer as L not to have a whistle in either case but I will take it if it's obvious.

Make sense?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

As usual, I'm with Dan. If it's on the block, let the C have it. If it comes into the paint, it's fair game for the L.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 01:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Generally if you're not over there & it's too late to get over there then stay on the weak side & let the C referee the low post play. If it's a drive out of the C's area to the basket then the L might grab it, if he sees something obvious that the C doesn't. I prefer as L not to have a whistle in either case but I will take it if it's obvious.

Make sense?
Absolutely! And that is the way I understood the men's mechanics to be...however, I am seeing LOTS of L calls across the key, esp. on the little jump shots from the low post...doesn't seem quite right to me...
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Make sense?
Absolutely! And that is the way I understood the men's mechanics to be...however, I am seeing LOTS of L calls across the key, esp. on the little jump shots from the low post...doesn't seem quite right to me...
Mmm, I haven't noticed (there were a coupla blarges yesterday, weren't there?). Anyway might be

Big dogs + Big games = Big whistles
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I see it a lot too, Rocky. I also hate it. . . especially when I'm the C and observe a clean block, only to have the L crack the whistle. Sigh.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Re: Not much to the mechanics.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
If you wanna see some real mechanics, watch some of the women's games...
All you have to do is raise your arm. Just like the NBA. Not really hard to do.

Peace
Well that has been too much to ask for most officials in this tournament..but I guess if I am ever up there, I can do what the heck I wanna as well..
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Big dogs + Big games = Big whistles [/B][/QUOTE]Hunting dogs + Big games = Trying too hard to impress.

The Big Dogs let the game come to them. JMO.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Big dogs + Big games = Big whistles [/B]
Hunting dogs + Big games = Trying too hard to impress.

The Big Dogs let the game come to them. JMO. [/B][/QUOTE]

You said it much better than I did.