View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
officials who bend over and crouch down to "get a better look" at the play ( I guess)...I have seen that one a lot. Also, the new Trail, after a made basket, sprinting up the floor and passing the guard with the ball??
Interesting that you mention these two, rocky, b/c I have been thinking the same thing. I've noticed both of these a LOT in this tournament. The "umpire's crouch" is just ridiculous, IMHO. There's no reason for it.

The same is true for the new Trail sprinting ahead of the inbounds pass. No reason for it. All it does is put you in a position where you can only see two players -- the inbounder and the "inboundee" Sure, you get into the front court quicker, but so what? There's a reason it's called the "Trail" position, guys!

I know most of us don't care about the pro philosophy, but one of the things you're "graded" on is whether you remain OOB with the inbounder until the inbound pass has been released. They want to make sure that the Trail official really trails the play, so they make him/her stand on the baseline until the ball is inbounded.

Quote:
And lastly, all the guys reffing from the middle of the key - especially on drives to the basket??
I haven't noticed this one quite so much in the tournament. They did tell us at the beginning of the year to take a couple steps into the lane and then back out again if the play came back to your side. But I don't think there was ever the intention that the official should stand in the middle of the lane to officiate the play.

Chuck