The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's a question that somebody asked me and I didn't have the answer right away. I think I know the answer now, but I'd like to solicit opinions from the board. Here's the question.

Player dribbles to the FT line, then ends his dribble and throws the ball against his own backboard. He takes several steps down the lane, catches the ball after it hits the backboard, and dunks it.

We've all seen this in the NBA dunk competition. The question is: is the move actually legal in game-conditions? Is passing the ball off the backboard "passing to yourself", or an illegal dribble (since he ended his dribble)? What makes it legal or illegal, as the case may be?

As I said, I now am pretty sure that I know the answer. But what say you?

Chuck
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck:

I believe this is legal, as throwing the ball against your own backboard does not constitute a dribble. It is not the same as catching your own pass, since the hitting of the backboard is like the hitting of the floor inbounds. See casebook play 4.15.4(c).

Of course, if this were the opponent's backboard, it would be a double dribble violation.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
Of course, if this were the opponent's backboard, it would be a double dribble violation.
When? At the moment the player catches the ball, or when he lands (which I believe).

In Chuck's case, though, I would rule it a legal play so long as, after the 'pass', the player never touched the floor while holding the ball.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
In Chuck's case, though, I would rule it a legal play so long as, after the 'pass', the player never touched the floor while holding the ball.
Why? What has that got to do with it?

There's nothing illegal about throwing the ball off your wown backboard. It's not a dribble and it's not a pass. If throwing the ball into your basket is always a score, then throwing the ball off your backboard is simpky a rebound, even if it doesn't go in or there's no attempt.

This play is legal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
There's nothing illegal about throwing the ball off your own backboard. It's not a dribble and it's not a pass.
Tony, this was pretty much my thinking as well. It's not a dribble, but it sure seems like a pass. It's not batted away or fumbled, so it's not an interrupted dribble. It's obviously NOT a try, so it's hard to call it a rebound. It seems for all the world like a "self-pass".

He's dribbled and stopped. He throws the ball in the air and then he's the first to gain control of it. (Even tho it hits "the floor", although not as part of a dribble )

Marty's case citation seems pretty close to what we're looking at. The more I thought about it at the time, the less comfortable I was with saying it was legal. But I guess that's just the way it is, as odd as it seems to me.

Chuck
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Why? What has that got to do with it?

There's nothing illegal about throwing the ball off your wown backboard. It's not a dribble and it's not a pass. If throwing the ball into your basket is always a score, then throwing the ball off your backboard is simpky a rebound, even if it doesn't go in or there's no attempt.

This play is legal.

My reasoning would be that, by throwing the ball off the backboard, the player is essentially ending his dribble. Keeping in mind it's the referee's discresion as to whether or not the player is making a legitimate try for goal, I would rule this as not a try for goal. Therefore, by catching the ball and landing, I would have to think it's a travel.

Maybe I'm confused by the whole thing - not to challenge you, but can you quote me a rule / case reference for this one???
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure this topic came up last year, but for the life of me, I can't find the thread.

It sounds like a travel to me. The guy is passing the ball to himself. There is nothing in 4-31 to say a pass cannot use your own backboard. If the kid has already eneded his dribble, has "control" of the ball, raises and returns his pivot foot to the floor before taking the shot, it's a travel.

I may be missing something (not for the 1st time), but it sure smells like a travel.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:00pm
Jerry Blum

Quote:
My reasoning would be that, by throwing the ball off the backboard, the player is essentially ending his dribble. Keeping in mind it's the referee's discresion as to whether or not the player is making a legitimate try for goal, I would rule this as not a try for goal. Therefore, by catching the ball and landing, I would have to think it's a travel.

Maybe I'm confused by the whole thing - not to challenge you, but can you quote me a rule / case reference for this one???
If the would land as you say above then yes I would say we have traveling. However, if I understand the question this situation would be when the player throws the ball off the backboard, jumps and catches the ball and then dunks the ball before returning to the ground.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
if I understand the question this situation would be when the player throws the ball off the backboard, jumps and catches the ball and then dunks the ball before returning to the ground.
With this I agree. Maybe I'm opening a new can of worms that I never should have!
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Throwing the ball against your opponent's backboard constitutes a dribble...throwing the ball against your own backboard constitutes a try...let 'em dunk it!!! If you need a ruling here it is: NCAA 4-66-Art. 4, A.R. 41... A1 intercepts a pass and dribbles toward A's basket for a break-away layup. Near A's free throw line, A1 legally stops and ends his or her dribble. A1 throws the ball against A's backboard and follow the throw. While airborne, A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks. Ruling: The play shall be legal...

[Edited by rockyroad on Nov 20th, 2002 at 03:38 PM]
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Keeping in mind it's the referee's discresion as to whether or not the player is making a legitimate try for goal, I would rule this as not a try for goal. Therefore, by catching the ball and landing, I would have to think it's a travel.

Absolutely, this is a judgement issue. Maybe you can tell
me - A1, all by himself, in his own front court, picks up
his dribble at the top of the key or in the paint and
tosses the ball such that it bounces off his own
backboard. How is this a pass and not a shot?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Absolutely, this is a judgement issue. Maybe you can tell me - A1, all by himself, in his own front court, picks up his dribble at the top of the key or in the paint and tosses the ball such that it bounces off his own
backboard. How is this a pass and not a shot?
If we're playing at a level where this kid can dunk the ball, it's a pass 10 times out of 10 in my book.

Stop, throw the ball, jump, catch, dunk - no problem.

Stop, throw the ball, jump, catch, land - travel.

With that, I'll lay this one to rest.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Throwing the ball against your opponent's backboard constitutes a dribble...throwing the ball against your own backboard constitutes a try...let 'em dunk it!!! If you need a ruling here it is: NCAA 4-66-Art. 4, A.R. 41... A1 intercepts a pass and dribbles toward A's basket for a break-away layup. Near A's free throw line, A1 legally stops and ends his or her dribble. A1 throws the ball against A's backboard and follow the throw. While airborne, A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks. Ruling: The play shall be legal...

[Edited by rockyroad on Nov 20th, 2002 at 03:38 PM]
Spoilsport! I'm sure Chuck didn't want this thread killed
by quoting the rules!
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with D.J. But if the ball hits the rim do we rreset the shot clock?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 05:15pm
Esteemed Participant

If they can reset it fast enough to get it done before he dunks, sure...then make sure they rest after the throw-in following the dunk also...