The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Saw this today: Team A leads by 1 with 2.8 seconds remaining. A1 is shooting his second FT of a shooting foul and Team B players inform the lead that if they rebound a miss to grant an immediate timeout. A1 misses the FT, B1 catches the rebound and the ref grants a TO. The timekeeper lets 1 second come off the clock, which now reads 1.8 seconds. Should you put time back on the clock? How would you have handled this (would you talk to the timekeeper before the FT)? Clearly the catch and TO took less than 1 second. Or suppose the clock ran to zero and expired... Thanx for your help.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 01:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornellref
Saw this today: Team A leads by 1 with 2.8 seconds remaining. A1 is shooting his second FT of a shooting foul and Team B players inform the lead that if they rebound a miss to grant an immediate timeout. A1 misses the FT, B1 catches the rebound and the ref grants a TO. The timekeeper lets 1 second come off the clock, which now reads 1.8 seconds. Should you put time back on the clock? How would you have handled this (would you talk to the timekeeper before the FT)? Clearly the catch and TO took less than 1 second. Or suppose the clock ran to zero and expired... Thanx for your help.
You must have been watching the Mountain West Championship Game.

No I would not put time off the clock unless I had definite knowledge that the clock started or stopped improperly. You have to understand that there is a second of lag time that is allowed to stop the clock. So it does not have to be exact.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Having one second run off the clock from the time the rebound is gathered until the time-out is granted is very reasonable. I wouldn't adjust the time in this case. The fact that team B informed the official that they were going to call a time-out only serves to make the official aware to look for it... they still have to request it and have it be granted which will take some time, even if only a second.

Z
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

The clock has to start and be stopped. Neither team can inform the official that they want a TO if they get the ball and have no time run off the clock. The timer has to have an opportunity to start and stop the clock.

Please tell me they didn't put time back on the clock.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 02:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Please tell me they didn't put time back on the clock.
Tony, if this is the game I think it is, (sounds like it by all accounts) they put time on the clock.

I know, I know, I know, that is what I said.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Not that it's the rule for NFHS/NCAA, but the NBA has a guideline that at least 3/10 of a second has to run off the clock in this situation. While there is no lag time in college rules, one second is reasonable in this case.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

No I would not put time off the clock unless I had definite knowledge that the clock started or stopped improperly. You have to understand that there is a second of lag time that is allowed to stop the clock. So it does not have to be exact.

Peace
No lag time provisions in NCAA.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
No lag time provisions in NCAA.
Yeah, there might not be a lag time provision exactly to the NF Rules, but a good official would use some similar logic when seeing if the clock started or stopped properly. If this was a lower level NCAA game (D3 for example) the officials would not have had the luxury to even look at replay in most situations to determine what happen with the clock. Unless you have some very specific knowledge, you are not going to put time on the clock in the first place. And the officials here only put about a .5 second on the clock and they had to look at replay to do it. It really had no affect on the actions that followed.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Thumbs down

JRutledge
If all the officials will think like you our situation will be not good at all.think about that..or you know what?don't think about that

peace
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 04:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
JRutledge
If all the officials will think like you our situation will be not good at all.think about that..or you know what?don't think about that

peace
You are going to have to rephrase that. I am not seeing your point.

Peace