The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 10, 2000, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I know that this message board usually only discusses NFHS interpretations, however i thought that the following article would be interesting for everyone to look at.
<< http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...w_off_bul.html
>>

Focus in on Part B

It appears that the NCAA Womens Rule committee is really tring to take judgement out of our jobs. Any comments????

Keep smiling
SH
Old Sun Sep 10, 2000, 08:03am
In Memoriam

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC:
I know that this message board usually only discusses NFHS interpretations, however i thought that the following article would be interesting for everyone to look at.
<< http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/basketball/officiating_bulletins/20000601_w_off_bul.html
>>

Focus in on Part B

It appears that the NCAA Womens Rule committee is really tring to take judgement out of our jobs. Any comments????

Keep smiling
SH

hoopsrefBC,
That was a great "find". Thanks for posting that item.
I have heard of the yearly "MEMO", but that's the first time I have read one.
The real CCA refs learned this stuff in July at their mandatory-if-you-want-a game clinics, I bet.
mick

Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 02:15am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:

I don't think that it is necessarily taking away judgment from the officials, but rather defining it.

Without defining what is illegal and what is not, there is a LOT of room for different interpretations. I think that this sort of thing has one goal in mind: Consistency.

I think that you will start to see more of this on the men's side as well.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt:
I don't think that it is necessarily taking away judgment from the officials, but rather defining it.

Without defining what is illegal and what is not, there is a LOT of room for different interpretations. I think that this sort of thing has one goal in mind: Consistency.

I think that you will start to see more of this on the men's side as well.

Judgement in the ad/dis concept. Turning the game into more black and white less grey, which i personally think is good. However many in my association disagree and say that the rules are only a guide they use when they are the ones on the court.

Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think that how the rule is applied is still up for discussion. They are trying to implement consistency, but again the way it is applied and interpreted is still up for discussion.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Buck Wu:
I think that how the rule is applied is still up for discussion. They are trying to implement consistency, but again the way it is applied and interpreted is still up for discussion.

They have pretty much decided on the interpretation. Some of the statements are pretty clear cut "must call a foul", "don't talk to / warn the players, just call the fouls", doesn't sound like you can interpret that to mean anything different.

Old Wed Sep 13, 2000, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I skimmed them, and they seem to go both ways. It is a good base of definition, but I these ruling are too "tough". My guess is if you call an intentional foul on a post move, you'll get run. And counting the time contact is made( 2 seconds)? Again, good theory, but if there is no AD/DisAd why call it? I don't think you can put a time limit on when a disadvantage occurs from contact.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2000, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson:
I skimmed them, and they seem to go both ways. It is a good base of definition, but I these ruling are too "tough". My guess is if you call an intentional foul on a post move, you'll get run. And counting the time contact is made( 2 seconds)? Again, good theory, but if there is no AD/DisAd why call it? I don't think you can put a time limit on when a disadvantage occurs from contact.

If the article is says that officals should stop using the ad/disad concept. And that officials shouldn't judge if any ad or disad occured. They should just call the foul.(top of page 5=+) and this comming from the head of the National coordinator of Women's basketball officiating.(NCAA)
I'm playing the devil, just thought this would be a good topic.
keep smiling
SH