The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Oops! I think they made a bad call in this one near the end. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but here was the situation. Carolina A1 inbounding after a made basket. He passes to A2 in the corner, who then passes directly back to A1. A1 is in midair when he catches the ball; he has jumped into the air from OOB. No call was made. Am I wrong in thinking this is a violation?

Also, is this rule different in NCAA? In NFHS, by rule, the ball is not OOB until it touches something OOB. With about 30 seconds left, Dook threw a bullet pass that was deflected by a UNC player WAY up into the stands, like 10 rows up. However, the baseline blew the official at least one second before the ball actually hit anything OOB. In the last minute of a close game, this one second could have been vital to the team behind. Was this a quick whistle, or was he correct?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Oops! I think they made a bad call in this one near the end. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but here was the situation. Carolina A1 inbounding after a made basket. He passes to A2 in the corner, who then passes directly back to A1. A1 is in midair when he catches the ball; he has jumped into the air from OOB. No call was made. Am I wrong in thinking this is a violation?

I didn't see the game but if it happened as you said it did then well...well you know.

Quote:

Also, is this rule different in NCAA? In NFHS, by rule, the ball is not OOB until it touches something OOB. With about 30 seconds left, Dook threw a bullet pass that was deflected by a UNC player WAY up into the stands, like 10 rows up. However, the baseline blew the official at least one second before the ball actually hit anything OOB. In the last minute of a close game, this one second could have been vital to the team behind. Was this a quick whistle, or was he correct?
Dook? Is this correct?

Anyway, as I said I didn't see the game but maybe the ball hit the beer guy in the first row and then carromed off into the 10th row?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 11:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Not a Duke fan I see?

Am I wrong in thinking this is a violation?

It was if it happen like you said it did. I was thinking the same thing, but was not sure that he did not touch the inbounds first. It was hard to tell and the angle did not show that close to the play.

Also, is this rule different in NCAA? In NFHS, by rule, the ball is not OOB until it touches something OOB.

The rule is the same basically.

With about 30 seconds left, Dook threw a bullet pass that was deflected by a UNC player WAY up into the stands, like 10 rows up. However, the baseline blew the official at least one second before the ball actually hit anything OOB. In the last minute of a close game, this one second could have been vital to the team behind. Was this a quick whistle, or was he correct?

I do not know about you, when the ball is obviously out of bounds, I am not going to wait for the ball to hit the cheap seats to determine the ball is going to be out of bounds. But that is just my take.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think you are right about the first call, don't think he touched inbounds before touching the ball. How about the scrum between Daugherty and the Duke bench. I'm not a big Duke fan, by any means, but Coach K did a good job of not losing it with Daugherty (sp?) pointing in his face and all.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dev, it looked to me like Daugherty was only on the floor b/c his player (I forget who) had just gotten poked in the eye and was still on the floor. Then the Duke player said something to him, so Daugherty shot back at him. And, to be honest, I don't blame him. A player has no business whatsoever to be in the opposing coach's grill.

I agree that Coach K managed things well after the incident started; but he (or an assistant) should have had better control of the bench before anybody said anything. Additionally, I think Daugherty calmed down quickly and moved away when he realized that he shouldn't be at the opposing bench. I give him some credit for not getting carried away with the emotion of the moment. The whole thing could've been a WHOLE lot worse if he hadn't backed off when he did.

As always, just my opinion.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

What I remember was Felton got hit in the face (blood trickling down his chin), Doherty came on the floor to check on him. While he was on the floor, Doherty had a few words with the officials and the Duke Assistant (I believe it was Chris Collins) had a few remarks for Doherty. As a side note, I thought I could read Collins' lips as he told Coach K. Doherty told him to "shut the %$&@ up."). Then, some pipsqueak from Duke shoved Doherty and all heck broke loose.

I commend Coach K. (and that hurts coming from a Tar Heel fan) for the way he handled the situation. He commented to McCants from NC "Let's handle this the appropriate way, on the court." I wouldn't be surprised to see a suspension for the Duke player that shoved Doherty.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Coach K., Doherty and the Duke player were all given reprimands by the ACC this morning.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer