The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

This should be an easy one...but I see it called as a violation sometimes and sometimes not.

Player A has possession of the ball and jumps to attempt a shot or pass. Player B, on defense, legally strikes the ball causing Player A to momentarily loose control of the ball while he is in the air. Player A regains control of the ball, while in the air, and returns to the ground with the ball.

Is this is traveling violation?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Travelling: Not! If the shooter loses possession of the ball, he has lost player control and can therefore retrieve the ball. This would apply whether or not he regains the ball while in the air or on the floor.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

<>

By this reasoning, then it doesn't matter if Player B causes Player A to loose control or if Player A just looses control on his own and regains possession in the air?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by longshot
<>

By this reasoning, then it doesn't matter if Player B causes Player A to loose control or if Player A just looses control on his own and regains possession in the air?
You're misreading Firedoc's post.You're trying to apply his answer to two completely different situations.If player A loses control of the ball while s/he is in the air shooting,they are travelling if they then grab the ball and come back down with it,or come back down and then grab the ball-if it is not touched by another player sometime in between these two shooter possessions.

Btw,welcome to the Forum.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback, but I don't understand completely yet the rules/interpretations that are being applied here. I'm sure in part it has to do with my being out of active officiating for the last 10 years and rules/interpreations changing. When I took the officiating exam in Ohio I was taught that, by rule, "you can't leave the ground with the ball and return with the ball, even if you momentarily lose control for any reason". But as I mentined I see it called traveling at times and not traveling at other times today.

- Firedoc says loss of player control therefore not traveling. Sounds reasonable.

- Jurrasic Ref says loss of player control doesn't apply if loss of control isn't accompanied by touching by another player? Seems to contradict that one can fumble and retrieve the ball without penalty - even if the ball hits the ground. Again I was taught "Its OK to fumble (and retrieve), dribble, fumble (and retrieve), but not dribble, fumble (and retrieve), dribble". Why isn't this simply a case of fumbling and retrieving (if the player returns to the ground first)? This is slightly different than my original question, but gets to the rule/interpratation I am guessing.

Thanks for the welcoming words, JR.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 08:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by longshot
This should be an easy one...but I see it called as a violation sometimes and sometimes not.

Player A has possession of the ball and jumps to attempt a shot or pass. Player B, on defense, legally strikes the ball causing Player A to momentarily loose control of the ball while he is in the air. Player A regains control of the ball, while in the air, and returns to the ground with the ball.

Is this is traveling violation?
Final answer is no. Casebook play 9.5.1:
"A1 ends a dribble and then jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal.B1 partially blocks the shot,but A1 secures control again while in the air.A1 returns to the floor and dribbles to the basket and scores".
RULING:"Legal maneuver.Both player and team control ended when A1 releases the ball.When A1 recovered s/he could dribble again similar to dribbling after catching a pass or rebound".

Also see casebook play 4.43.3. That one gives you the concept of why it is a travel if the shooter goes up,and then just drops the ball and recovers it--i.e.violation of either Rule 4-43-3(c) & 4.43.4(b)-player lifting their pivot foot before starting a dribble.

OK?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 7th, 2003 at 08:10 AM]