The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm looking for a way to call this one. I am told by my fellow officials this weekend that I can only call this as a T, in a situation where the player is receiving a pass, otherwise it is a legal play.

First off I hope you all can tell me it is not legal to hold your hand in the face of the ball handler as she dribbles, and if it is not illegal- why not?

Not to be sexist, but I have only seen this in a couple of girls games. I would probably just tell the player to stop it, but you never know when a player/coach might know the rules and object.

The unorginal Tee
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 11:36am
In Memoriam

Tee,It is NOT illegal to put your hands in the face of a dribbler-i.e. no call.The answer you're looking for is in NFHS rule 10-3-8d and casebook play 10.3.8SitA.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 11:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
I'm looking for a way to call this one. I am told by my fellow officials this weekend that I can only call this as a T, in a situation where the player is receiving a pass, otherwise it is a legal play.

First off I hope you all can tell me it is not legal to hold your hand in the face of the ball handler as she dribbles, and if it is not illegal- why not?

Not to be sexist, but I have only seen this in a couple of girls games. I would probably just tell the player to stop it, but you never know when a player/coach might know the rules and object.

The unorginal Tee
Tee,
This is a coaching problem, on both sides of the ball.
If a defender has a hand in the dribblers face, why can't the dribbler blow right by the defender? Seems real easy to me.
mick
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Girl with her hand in the face of a dribbler - pretty close- not really in legal guarding postion and dirbble drives into the hands of the defender... this is now what? a fight? (striking the oppponet on the face) a flagrant foul, a flagrant tech, or a no call despite the girl getting stiff armed. I dunno - just throwing a situation out that may never happen. My rule books are in the "library" so i can't try and back up my situation for a little while.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Girl with her hand in the face of a dribbler - pretty close- not really in legal guarding postion and dirbble drives into the hands of the defender... this is now what? a fight? (striking the oppponet on the face) a flagrant foul, a flagrant tech, or a no call despite the girl getting stiff armed. I dunno - just throwing a situation out that may never happen. My rule books are in the "library" so i can't try and back up my situation for a little while.
Hold
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 03:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Icing.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

JR,
I used to think that this action was only a T if done to a player without the ball, since the rules book says only that. But after seeing your post, I went and closely read the casebook play. Now, due to the very last sentence in 10.3.8A I am a bit confused.
Could you clarify what you believe is unsporting for a defender to do to the opponent's vision, when that opposing player has the ball. Specifically, can the guard obstruct the vision of this player with the ball by putting his hand(s) near the opponent's eyes or is this a T?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

It is only a T if a player obstructs the vision or waves their hand in the face of a non-ballhandler. (Where did I come up with that word!) I actually had that happen the first year the rule was put in. We had it at the rules meeting and boom... the second game in a girl did it. I went with a T and had to explain to the player and the coach. I see defenders holding their hands in front of the dribbler's face all of the time. Legal play under the current rule 10-8d.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Curious.
Was this rule (T for obstructing non-ballhandler's vision) put in for safety reasons? I'm having a hard time seeing this as unsporting, from my personal perspective.

SNAQS
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 12:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I'm having a hard time seeing this as unsporting, from my personal perspective.

SNAQS
Snaqs,
That's because of your opponents hands being in your face.

Picture a big defender behind a little guy with his hands in front of the little guys eyes.
Picture a little defender fronting and facing a big guy with his hands in front of the big guys face.
In neither case is the defender playing the ball. In both cases the defender is merely being aggravating.
This looks unsporting to me.
mick
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
In neither case is the defender playing the ball. In both cases the defender is merely being aggravating.
Then why isn't it unsporting to yell in the shooter's ear when the defender's been beaten?

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Then why isn't it unsporting to yell in the shooter's ear when the defender's been beaten?

Chuck
Uh, ...cuz there is no rule against it?
...And it doesn't bother me.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Chuck
Good question. A personal pet peeve of mine. IMO, it is not a valid defensive strategy and has no place in the game. Unfortunately I don't make the rules.

Mregor
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Curious.
Was this rule (T for obstructing non-ballhandler's vision) put in for safety reasons? I'm having a hard time seeing this as unsporting, from my personal perspective.

SNAQS
Safety? A2 without the ball, needs to see if the ball is heading inbound at full tilt, so that injury is avoided. It is unsportsmanlike to endanger another player. A1 with the ball doesn't have this concern, thus it is legal.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Uh, ...cuz there is no rule against it?
...And it doesn't bother me.
But it exactly fits the two criteria that you mentioned in the previous post. The defender is not playing the ball, and is merely being aggravating. So why is there a rule in one case and not in the other? That's my only point.

Chuck