The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defensive player holds/waves hand directly in dribblers face- legal? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7731-defensive-player-holds-waves-hand-directly-dribblers-face-legal.html)

Tee Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:11am

I'm looking for a way to call this one. I am told by my fellow officials this weekend that I can only call this as a T, in a situation where the player is receiving a pass, otherwise it is a legal play.

First off I hope you all can tell me it is not legal to hold your hand in the face of the ball handler as she dribbles, and if it is not illegal- why not?

Not to be sexist, but I have only seen this in a couple of girls games. I would probably just tell the player to stop it, but you never know when a player/coach might know the rules and object.

The unorginal Tee

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:36am

Tee,It is NOT illegal to put your hands in the face of a dribbler-i.e. no call.The answer you're looking for is in NFHS rule 10-3-8d and casebook play 10.3.8SitA.

mick Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Tee
I'm looking for a way to call this one. I am told by my fellow officials this weekend that I can only call this as a T, in a situation where the player is receiving a pass, otherwise it is a legal play.

First off I hope you all can tell me it is not legal to hold your hand in the face of the ball handler as she dribbles, and if it is not illegal- why not?

Not to be sexist, but I have only seen this in a couple of girls games. I would probably just tell the player to stop it, but you never know when a player/coach might know the rules and object.

The unorginal Tee

Tee,
This is a coaching problem, on both sides of the ball.
If a defender has a hand in the dribblers face, why can't the dribbler blow right by the defender? Seems real easy to me.
mick

ace Sun Mar 02, 2003 02:51pm

Girl with her hand in the face of a dribbler - pretty close- not really in legal guarding postion and dirbble drives into the hands of the defender... this is now what? a fight? (striking the oppponet on the face) a flagrant foul, a flagrant tech, or a no call despite the girl getting stiff armed. I dunno - just throwing a situation out that may never happen. My rule books are in the "library" so i can't try and back up my situation for a little while.

RecRef Sun Mar 02, 2003 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Girl with her hand in the face of a dribbler - pretty close- not really in legal guarding postion and dirbble drives into the hands of the defender... this is now what? a fight? (striking the oppponet on the face) a flagrant foul, a flagrant tech, or a no call despite the girl getting stiff armed. I dunno - just throwing a situation out that may never happen. My rule books are in the "library" so i can't try and back up my situation for a little while.
Hold

Mark Padgett Sun Mar 02, 2003 03:47pm

Icing.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 03, 2003 06:40am

JR,
I used to think that this action was only a T if done to a player without the ball, since the rules book says only that. But after seeing your post, I went and closely read the casebook play. Now, due to the very last sentence in 10.3.8A I am a bit confused.
Could you clarify what you believe is unsporting for a defender to do to the opponent's vision, when that opposing player has the ball. Specifically, can the guard obstruct the vision of this player with the ball by putting his hand(s) near the opponent's eyes or is this a T?

BigJoe Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:29am

It is only a T if a player obstructs the vision or waves their hand in the face of a non-ballhandler. (Where did I come up with that word!) I actually had that happen the first year the rule was put in. We had it at the rules meeting and boom... the second game in a girl did it. I went with a T and had to explain to the player and the coach. I see defenders holding their hands in front of the dribbler's face all of the time. Legal play under the current rule 10-8d.

Adam Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:59am

Curious.
Was this rule (T for obstructing non-ballhandler's vision) put in for safety reasons? I'm having a hard time seeing this as unsporting, from my personal perspective.

SNAQS

mick Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
I'm having a hard time seeing this as unsporting, from my personal perspective.

SNAQS

Snaqs,
That's because of your opponents hands being in your face.

Picture a big defender behind a little guy with his hands in front of the little guys eyes.
Picture a little defender fronting and facing a big guy with his hands in front of the big guys face.
In neither case is the defender playing the ball. In both cases the defender is merely being aggravating.
This looks unsporting to me.
mick

ChuckElias Mon Mar 03, 2003 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
In neither case is the defender playing the ball. In both cases the defender is merely being aggravating.

Then why isn't it unsporting to yell in the shooter's ear when the defender's been beaten? :confused:

Chuck

mick Mon Mar 03, 2003 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Then why isn't it unsporting to yell in the shooter's ear when the defender's been beaten? :confused:

Chuck

Uh, ...cuz there is no rule against it?
...And it doesn't bother me. ;)

Mregor Mon Mar 03, 2003 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Chuck

Good question. A personal pet peeve of mine. IMO, it is not a valid defensive strategy and has no place in the game. Unfortunately I don't make the rules.

Mregor

rainmaker Mon Mar 03, 2003 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Curious.
Was this rule (T for obstructing non-ballhandler's vision) put in for safety reasons? I'm having a hard time seeing this as unsporting, from my personal perspective.

SNAQS

Safety? A2 without the ball, needs to see if the ball is heading inbound at full tilt, so that injury is avoided. It is unsportsmanlike to endanger another player. A1 with the ball doesn't have this concern, thus it is legal.

ChuckElias Mon Mar 03, 2003 07:07pm

Quote:

Uh, ...cuz there is no rule against it?
...And it doesn't bother me. ;)

But it exactly fits the two criteria that you mentioned in the previous post. The defender is not playing the ball, and is merely being aggravating. So why is there a rule in one case and not in the other? That's my only point.

Chuck