The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

How do you handle the drive into the lane with a foul on attempt. You see more double whistles on this. Who should make this call and on double we hold our signals until we make eye contact trying to avoid the charge-block call.
Just wondering how the rest handle this. Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A double whistle is ok here, especially if we're talking a 3-whistle crew. But even if it's 2-whistle, it's not unusual. The Trail will stay with the drive if it started in his/her area, and the Lead picks it up as it comes to the basket. So it's very possible to get 2 whistles.

But as you said, whoever is blowing out of his normal primary should withhold any secondary signal.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
As always it comes down to eye contact. Double whistle should lead to both officials making a the foul signal, but nothing further until the eye contact is established. Then one official should just lower his arm and yield to the other official for the call. Generally, the official towards whom the play is going (in this case the lead)should make the final call.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

This is where a good pregame also comes into play. If the play starts is Trail's primary, Trail should take it all the way to the basket. If it starts in Lead's primary, and Trail knows Lead has it, Lead's got it.

If something happens where it has to be called then take it Primary always has first shot
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_pa
How do you handle the drive into the lane with a foul on attempt. You see more double whistles on this. Who should make this call and on double we hold our signals until we make eye contact trying to avoid the charge-block call.
Just wondering how the rest handle this. Thanks.
How to handle this is always part of my pre-game. Keep in mind, Washington is a two-person crew state so this applies to my "two officials" pregame. If we each have a fist, trail yields to the lead (since that's who the play was coming to). If we don't have the same thing (one has on open hand and the other has a fist or the whistles were not totally simultaneous), we're going to come together and very quickly and decisively decide which came first.

Z
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Reminded me of a play I saw yesterday on ESPN Classic, Loisville-Marquette I believe. Anyway, I think it was Ted Hillary in C and Burr at Trail and some guy I should know at Lead. Lead has OB call in tie game and near the end, Hillary thought it had been touched and came to him with what he had, but he wouldn't change the call. They argued for almost 30 seconds before Burr comes in, pulls their heads together and comes out and says jump ball. Not exactly good teamwork and making the crew believable, imho, but I suppose it happens, especially if you do as many games as those guys. Like, Welmer, he's on TV every night, geez, must be nice to be on top.