The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 08:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
My personal opinion is that the flipped net NEVER actually interferes with the ball going into the basket. Therefore, I will NEVER blow my whistle during a live ball to fix the net. It will fix itself the next time that team scores. For other (that means "incorrect" ) opinions, go to another thread on the this very topic. http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=7092

Chuck, my sentiments are with you on this subject, but as I posted earlier, the NCAA mandates differently now. But the following is what JR posted in the thread that you have also listed:

"In the old days(20/30 years go),this situation was covered in the casebook/approved rulings and officials manual for both NCAA and NFHS.We were told that we could only have the net flipped down when the clock was stopped and the ball was dead.If a ballboy or player wanted to grab it while play was going on,that was fine-but we were not to stop the game to flip a net down. I don't have a clue when they removed this reference or why.Personally,I agree with Chuck.It's a game interupter if you stop the game just to get the net down."

JR is correct when he states it is a game interupter. I personally care for the NCAA ruling but for college games it is the law of the land.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
If the ball rolls out in at the buzzer in the 3rd OT of the State Final then what would you do???
Head to the locker room. If it rolls out, it's not b/c of the net.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I believe it certainly can have an impact on the shot.
I just agreed with you in another thread. But. . .

In 25 of being involved in organized basketball (playing, coaching and officiating), I have literally NEVER seen a shot affected by a flipped up net during a game. Ever. Do not stop the clock to fix the net. Ever.

Chuck
I agree.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
My personal opinion is that the flipped net NEVER actually interferes with the ball going into the basket. Therefore, I will NEVER blow my whistle during a live ball to fix the net.
But since the ball becomes dead when the shot that makes the net flip up goes through the basket, you always stop it then. Good game management waiting for the dead ball.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I know not everyone is capable of this, but when this happens, and there is no press going back the other way, I just jump up as I'm passing by, flick the net so it comes back down, and continue on my merry way. If it's tangled, I wait until the next stoppage to fix it.

Definitely do not stop the clock for it, anyway.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck that the net is not going to flip a ball out, but I think the impact it has is on a shooter who is looking at a different target. When I'm playing, if my offensive net is flipped, I'll pull it down as I pass through the key.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

This topic can become a severely beaten horse, but I haven't seen anyone put 'current' rules into the pot.

How about 1-10-1. Each basket shall consist of.... ...suspended from beneath the ring.

Suspended - verb. To hang so as to allow free movement.

Should you not allow play to continue, as you would with other improper equipment. I.E. If after a dunk, a collapsable ring did not spring back to parallel, you would definitely not let play continue.

I also don't like having an unnecessary interruption in the game but it can be argued by rule that it should be taken care of.

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I know not everyone is capable of this, but when this happens, and there is no press going back the other way, I just jump up as I'm passing by, flick the net so it comes back down, and continue on my merry way. If it's tangled, I wait until the next stoppage to fix it.

Definitely do not stop the clock for it, anyway.
You just wait young man. One time during a lower level game, the net got stuck on a shot as the quarter ended. I figured I'd just jump up and pull it down. Alas, I had last tried that during my playing days, at least 3 years prior. Long story short, I came up about three inches short and embarrassed myself thoroughly.

But as to the original post...... the ball is dead once it goes through and I don't know how the trail could miss seeing that the net is stuck. Blow it dead before the ball is "available" to the throwing team.

Z
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Long story short, I came up about three inches short and embarrassed myself thoroughly.
D'OH ! ! ! !

Maybe not a bad idea to blow it down right after the ball goes through, depending on the flow of the game. But if no one notices, and the ball's already back in play, definitely still would not stop it until the next stoppage.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[BIn 25 of being involved in organized basketball (playing, coaching and officiating), I have literally NEVER seen a shot affected by a flipped up net during a game.
[/B]
You jinxed it. You're gonna see it tomorrow, now.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Brian, I've got boys' playoff games tonight and tomorrow. I'll let you know if anything untoward happens.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

We had another thread with this issue, but I will restate.
1) has an impact on the target viewed by shooter
2) may affect rebounds
3) does not comply with rule on equipment

Conclusion: fix it
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
We had another thread with this issue, but I will restate.
1) has an impact on the target viewed by shooter
2) may affect rebounds
3) does not comply with rule on equipment

Conclusion: fix it
Hawks: I agree w/ your three points here totally. I think most of us should understand that all of the three above are true. What I am really looking for is some supporting info (FED rules wise) on when to fix it. Be this the next dead ball, officials discresion, immediately etc...)

First, the shooter is looking at a different target if there is no net there, yes. This ties into #3. More importantly I do not see anyone who can not say that there is a possibility that a hung net can affect a shot as a ball hitting the rim w/ the net wrapped around it would obviously react differently as would a "rim rolling" shot. I personally have never viewed a net being wrapped up so tightly that the ball would not pass through but would hate to be the official who allowed it to happen and then had to explain to the other coach why that basket their player should have just made did not count.

Again, I have had a hung net a couple of times this year in my games. If it happens more then once the solution is simple. A pair of scissors or tape cutter which each team should have and a couple of cuts on to bottom knots on the backboard side of the net.

[Edited by MN 3 Sport Ref on Feb 25th, 2003 at 04:01 PM]
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
I personally have never viewed a net being wrapped up so tightly that the ball would not pass through but would hate to be the official who allowed it to happen and then had to explain to the other coach why that basket their player should have just made did not count.
I think I have said it before. I have seen it! The net flipped up over the top of the rim so far that the back side of the net caught on one of the frontside hooks as it flipped over. Essentially, the net was pulled across the diameter of the rim from back to front, no ball could get more than 3-4 inches below the rim level before the net would be pulled tight and flip it out. Found this out not during play, luckily, becasue it was whistled dead. Upon trying to toss the ball up through, it promptly rejected the attempt. The net was only cleared by climbing up to the rim and unhooking the net from the loops.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Besides the "elastic" powers of the referee does anyone have any RULE SUPPORT for stopping the game to "fix" the net in these situations. I just play and let the team shooting at that particular basket take care of their problem if they want to. They can have a player stay and pull it down. Why would you stop the game with the other team in possession and break any flow or momentum they might be creating?