The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

on Saturday during a JV Tournament team A shot and made the basket-the net got tied up in the basket after the shot went through--while B was taking the ball up court with no pressure from A at all i noticed the net- blew my whistle and fixed the net-gave ball back to B and the game
proceeded--I was being evaluated during this game--after the game all comments were very positive except that i was told the net should not have been fixed until there was a dead ball from a violation or OB. This means A may have gone back down and played at the basket with the net tied up in the basket- This just does not seem right
any comments?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Could you have been a little quicker on fixing the net. Sounds like some time went by before the net was fixed. The way I see it the trail should have that call immediately.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt that two seconds even went by before i noticed it-trail did not because he turned his back to run downcourt-very young official-he will get better
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
on Saturday during a JV Tournament team A shot and made the basket-the net got tied up in the basket after the shot went through--while B was taking the ball up court with no pressure from A at all i noticed the net- blew my whistle and fixed the net-gave ball back to B and the game
proceeded--I was being evaluated during this game--after the game all comments were very positive except that i was told the net should not have been fixed until there was a dead ball from a violation or OB. This means A may have gone back down and played at the basket with the net tied up in the basket- This just does not seem right
any comments?

I am not at home so I do not have access to my files but I will try to shed some light on net problem.

Over 35 years ago the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBCUSC) issued an interpretation that stated that when the net became caught in ring, the game was to continue without interruption. When there was a natural stoppage of play: foul, violation, team timeout, or injury, the net should then be fixed.

Since the NBCUSC was the legal predecessor to the NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rules committees, this ruling was still in effect. I do not the time to go through my files, but a few years ago I sent a email to Mary Struckhoff (NFHS), Ed Bilik (NCAA Men's), Barb Jacobs (NCAA Women's) in response to questions submitted to me concerning the net problem.

Since I had only information from officials more veteran than me concerning the NBCUSC ruling, I requested in my email that an archive search be done concerning this ruling. The only response that I received was from Barb Jacobs, telling me that the NCAA Men's/Women's Committee was in the process of issuing a ruling on the net problem. I cannot rememeber off hand which year it was, but it detailed how to handle the net problem at the NCAA Div. I, II, and III games. In a nutshell, for a NCAA game, game management is supposed to provide a person to fix the net so the game does not have to be stopped. If no person is provided the ruling lists a protocol on how to handle the situation.

I have yet to receive a response from Mary Struckhoff, so it is safe to say that the NBCUSC ruling is still in effect for games played under NFHS rules. Having said that, something in the dark recesses of my mind tells me that the NFHS may have issued a ruling on the net problem.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'd say that with an inexperienced official then you have to have four eyes. I think you did the right thing if you corrected it as quickly as possible...IMHO...I dont think that evaluation will do much in the way of holding you back either...
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thats Trails Call!!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:56pm
Administrator

I found the NCAA Memorandum that address the net problem. It is dated January 11, 2000.

For NCAA games, here is how it is to be handled:

Net caught on rim after a made basket: How to handle:

If there is a basket attendant supplied by game management, that person can get the net down as play continues to the other end of the court. If play stays at this basket's end (press situation) officials should blow the whistle immediately and get the net down. There would be a possibility of a quick steal and a shot at the basket with the net hung up.

If there is no basket attendant, officials should stop play immediately and get the net down.

If this is a re-occurring situation through the game, game management should be notified by the officials to change the net either at half time or after the game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
The way I see it the trail should have that call immediately.
Dang is there an echo in here...=)
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Game management on the court is very important as well as preventive officiating. Placing myself on the court I would have blown my whistle with confidence and signaling to stop the clock (open hand) then pointing to the net then requesting the ball so that I can use to bring down the net. I then would have administered the throw in at the baseline signaling that they can run the baseline. You just covered all angles and sold your delay.

[Edited by BlackFox40 on Feb 24th, 2003 at 05:40 PM]
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My personal opinion is that the flipped net NEVER actually interferes with the ball going into the basket. Therefore, I will NEVER blow my whistle during a live ball to fix the net. It will fix itself the next time that team scores. For other (that means "incorrect" ) opinions, go to another thread on the this very topic. http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=7092
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
My personal opinion is that the flipped net NEVER actually interferes with the ball going into the basket. Therefore, I will NEVER blow my whistle during a live ball to fix the net. It will fix itself the next time that team scores. For other (that means "incorrect" ) opinions, go to another thread on the this very topic. http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=7092
I believe it certainly can have an impact on the shot.

I've seen nets hung in such a way that a ball could not go through and would actually get bounced back out because the net is stuck fairly tight.

Also, a soft shot that is rolling around the rim and rolls over the flipped net will be affected by the net. The bump that the net causes may change the direction of the ball from causing the outcome of the shot to change.

We can never know when it happens where the shot would or wouldn't have gone anyway.

When it's stuck, stop play and fix it. Ideally, it should be immediately after the ball drops through.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I believe it certainly can have an impact on the shot.
I just agreed with you in another thread. But. . .

In 25 of being involved in organized basketball (playing, coaching and officiating), I have literally NEVER seen a shot affected by a flipped up net during a game. Ever. Do not stop the clock to fix the net. Ever.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

I too agreed with Camron on the last one and Chuck ,I have to agree with him again.
n 41 years of reffing I have seen this happen at all levels and sometimes the ball is adversely effected by a hung up net. If the ball rolls out in at the buzzer in the 3rd OT of the State Final then what would you do??? Mark DeNucci's interpretation is bang on.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting that the topic is being discussed because on the weekend I watched the provincial finals where the net must have gotten caught a dozen times per game. It was whistled every time. Around here, we always stop to fix the net, I assumed that was the correct procedure. I am starting to doubt myself now.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

This past weekend I was asked to run the clock and scoreboard for my son's games. In the particular gym they were playing the net got tied up up everytime there was a swish. It got irritating because the officials stopped play each and every time. I wish I would have read this thread before then because I would have suggested they get some attendants to take care of the problem while play was on the opposite end.