Thread: Fix net or not?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
We had another thread with this issue, but I will restate.
1) has an impact on the target viewed by shooter
2) may affect rebounds
3) does not comply with rule on equipment

Conclusion: fix it
Hawks: I agree w/ your three points here totally. I think most of us should understand that all of the three above are true. What I am really looking for is some supporting info (FED rules wise) on when to fix it. Be this the next dead ball, officials discresion, immediately etc...)

First, the shooter is looking at a different target if there is no net there, yes. This ties into #3. More importantly I do not see anyone who can not say that there is a possibility that a hung net can affect a shot as a ball hitting the rim w/ the net wrapped around it would obviously react differently as would a "rim rolling" shot. I personally have never viewed a net being wrapped up so tightly that the ball would not pass through but would hate to be the official who allowed it to happen and then had to explain to the other coach why that basket their player should have just made did not count.

Again, I have had a hung net a couple of times this year in my games. If it happens more then once the solution is simple. A pair of scissors or tape cutter which each team should have and a couple of cuts on to bottom knots on the backboard side of the net.

[Edited by MN 3 Sport Ref on Feb 25th, 2003 at 04:01 PM]