The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I hope when I explain this, my question will be clear, if I'm not very clear please let me know and I will try and repost. Game against the number one team in our league at our gym. We end up losing the game by 12 pts because we just basically fell apart, 1 hour and 45mins after the game Im up in my room correcting papers, and a parent of one of my players enters the room. Besides questioning my coaching, she tells me that everytime her daughter took the ball out on the sideline a older gentleman in the first row was grabbing her jersey and making comments. I explained to the mother I had no idea about this or I would have dealt with it. If my player would have toldthe offical what was going on is there anything he/she could do about it? Ironically we played them a month later for the League Championship and won, but before the game I had my Asst. tallk to the officials, and they said they would watch it but could not do anything. I would appreciate your feedback as being a young coach I have never seen this happen before.

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by CoaachJF
I hope when I explain this, my question will be clear, if I'm not very clear please let me know and I will try and repost. Game against the number one team in our league at our gym. We end up losing the game by 12 pts because we just basically fell apart, 1 hour and 45mins after the game Im up in my room correcting papers, and a parent of one of my players enters the room. Besides questioning my coaching, she tells me that everytime her daughter took the ball out on the sideline a older gentleman in the first row was grabbing her jersey and making comments. I explained to the mother I had no idea about this or I would have dealt with it. If my player would have toldthe offical what was going on is there anything he/she could do about it? Ironically we played them a month later for the League Championship and won, but before the game I had my Asst. tallk to the officials, and they said they would watch it but could not do anything. I would appreciate your feedback as being a young coach I have never seen this happen before.

I would have had a very quick and direct word with anyone messin', touchin' or handlin' any player.
I won't deal with it thrice. It'll go away.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

If this is true, given that it is CoachJF who knows, there would be no second chance. Game management would be called immediately to take care of it.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in total agreement with RecRef. Anything of that sort brought to the Official's attention should be taken immediately to the Home Management and stopped.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
I'm in total agreement with RecRef. Anything of that sort brought to the Official's attention should be taken immediately to the Home Management and stopped.
Paul,
I like to leave a little wiggle room.

"Oh, Mom !!! That was Suzy Smith's grampa that I told you was such a teaser!"
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Paul,

Mick, not-fer-nuthin', but not even Suzy's Grampa should be putting his hands on a teenaged girl in such a manner. Ain't kosher, some might say it's not even legal. JMO.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
BYE BYE!!!!! 1st strike and you're out
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
Quote:
Besides questioning my coaching, she tells me that everytime her daughter took the ball out on the sideline a older gentleman in the first row was grabbing her jersey and making comments

just curious, did she mention exactly how many times the player was grabbed? Did the guy move every time to the spot she tok the ball out? The places that a ball can be inbounded is pretty vast in number. Plus, Why didnt she herself go to the old guy and punch him in the face? If ANYONE was messin with a daughter of mine in front of my own eyes, i wouldnt think twice about confronting that individual with at least strong words.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Paul,

Mick, not-fer-nuthin', but not even Suzy's Grampa should be putting his hands on a teenaged girl in such a manner. Ain't kosher, some might say it's not even legal. JMO.
Aw Dan,
I don't disagree. Yet, I ain't callin' it unless there is a clear advantage/disadvantage.
But Coaach's case was seen by a mother who either over-reacted, cuz it was nothing, or under-reacted, cuz it was something. Plus she was already aggravated enough to go yell at Coaach, and she wasn't making much sense.
You sound like a parent. I'm not a parent anymore.
mick
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

You sound like a parent. I'm not a parent anymore.
mick
One down, one to go!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Something smells rotten in Denmark. An old geezer was doing this to a player for an entire game and the player never said anything???

Yeah, suuuuuuuure.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Agree with those saying this is one of the many resp. of game managers. Bring it to their attention and let them handle it. Refs don't mix it up with fans. If there is no manager go to the home coach and have him/her deal with it.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Agree with those saying this is one of the many resp. of game managers. Bring it to their attention and let them handle it. Refs don't mix it up with fans. If there is no manager go to the home coach and have him/her deal with it.
Exactly. Let them figure out whether it's good ol' Uncle Bob just being silly or dirty old Uncle Bob being a pervert.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

A different angle please:

What rights / responsiobilities does a Coach have addressing these and similiar incidents?

Can the coach go to management or through the officials only?

Could have interesting consequences if the VISITING coach wants to "address' crowd situations?

Comments?

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I was thinking the same thing as South Bay. How did it happen that that girl just happened to throw the ball in at the same spot as that fan more than once? Also, how is it possible that the administering official didn't see the act if it happened more than once? Something is definitely fishy here. Also, I would have game management remove this fan immediately if I saw it happen or the girl or girl's coach told me about it.