The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:32am
Jerry Blum

Had this situation Friday night in a Varsity boys game. Home team's Senior night and homecoming, so besides the situation I had it takes a while for the games. Home team has one of their starters who is a senior but has a broken foot and can't run well at all. As I go to check the book before the 10 minute mark both coaches come up to me and say they are going to let this kid start. What they want to do is start the game with the jump ball and as soon as someone gains possesion of the ball they want to stop the game and sub in for this kid.

Went well, no problems when we started, I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else has had similar situations.

Jerry
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Sounds like a very nice thought on the part of both coaches. I have never had this happen to me, but I would not have a problem with it since it is certainly within the rules to immediately call timeout after possession on the opening tip. Once the clock is stopped and the ball dead a substitution could then occur. Of course this is predicated on the fact that the injured starter must appear in the book.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Angry

That situation reminds me of that college girls game a few years ago where an injured player needed two points to set a record. They agreed not to contest the jump ball and they passed it to her with her cast on her leg standing under the basket. She scored the two points and then called time out and subbed for her. The opposing coach agreed to this. I think they allowed the opponant to score and the game started out 2-2. I don't agree with that but in your situation it is different. I think it will be alright on Senior Night and no rules were bent if a TO was called when the jump was secured.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
At least your senior night game sounds like it started on time!!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

That Nykesha Sales/UConn thing was the biggest mockery I've ever seen, and I have not watched a women's college game since. What a joke. That wasn't even for the team, that was for an individual record. It made a disgrace out of the game, and should have never been allowed by the coaches, much less the officials, because if I remember correctly, she had a big boot cast on her foot.

"Oh coach, my girl is only 80 points away from the state record, will you let her score the first 80 points tonight, then we'll let you score 80 to tie it up?" Get real. That's not basketball, that's embarrassing.

As far as one team gaining possession in the boys game in this situation, either call a time-out or purposely throw it off somebody so that the ball goes OOB. I'm not just stopping the game for no reason.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:51am
Jerry Blum

Sounds to me like you guys would have forced the teams to take a timeout in this situation? My thinking on it was since both coaches agreed this is what they wanted to do then I don't have a problem with this. Now if for some reason the visiting coach was not informed or didn't agree to it then I could understand the problem.

I would not have permitted the situation for someone to score just to break a record. I agree that that is wrong and makes a joke of the game.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing, Jerry. I probably would have had an "inadvertant whistle" and stopped the game to get a sub in.

No reason to penalize a team by wasting a TO when the act they were doing exemplifies sportsmanship so well.

IMO

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Or, rather than having the offiicals make the decision on whether or not they need to use a time out, just have the defender tip a 'pass' out of bounds. Since both coaches agreed to stop the game at that point they could just have the ball go out of bounds. That way the same team would retain possesion, no timeouts used and you get that player off the floor.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

1) The poor girl would have easily broken the scoring record if not for the devastating injury. Giving her the two points was a great gesture by both teams. There is a big difference between 2 points and 80 points. Come on.

2) I would have no problem with an "inadvertant whistle" on senior night when both coaches agree.

Lighten up!

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
That Nykesha Sales/UConn thing was the biggest mockery I've ever seen, and I have not watched a women's college game since. What a joke. That wasn't even for the team, that was for an individual record. It made a disgrace out of the game, and should have never been allowed by the coaches, much less the officials, because if I remember correctly, she had a big boot cast on her foot.

"Oh coach, my girl is only 80 points away from the state record, will you let her score the first 80 points tonight, then we'll let you score 80 to tie it up?" Get real. That's not basketball, that's embarrassing.

As far as one team gaining possession in the boys game in this situation, either call a time-out or purposely throw it off somebody so that the ball goes OOB. I'm not just stopping the game for no reason.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
The poor girl?

The poor girl tore her ACL, that happens all the time in women's sports. And to make an exception to allow an injured player break an individual record is a travesty. I was suprised that it was even allowed to happen.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree with the "lighten up" attitude.

What about all the scorers who were injured in mid-season, or pre-season, that would have set records, but the timing of their injury was not as good as this one player who was injured late in the year.

Injuries happen, they stink, but you don't do something at the end of the season that you wouldn't do at the beginning. Sounds like a first qtr, fourth qtr argument, doesn't it.

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerb
I disagree with the "lighten up" attitude.

What about all the scorers who were injured in mid-season, or pre-season, that would have set records, but the timing of their injury was not as good as this one player who was injured late in the year.

Injuries happen, they stink, but you don't do something at the end of the season that you wouldn't do at the beginning. Sounds like a first qtr, fourth qtr argument, doesn't it.

Since both coaches agreed to do it (and I presume with the approval of the conference and the governing body of that level of sports), I would imagine a lot of thought was put into it.

Z
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:14pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I also think that the Sales thing was wrong, if she was ment to break a record that someone worked hard to get themselves, kept themselves in good shape and avoided injury enough to originally get the record she would not have gotten injured.

I think we should go back and see who originally had the record, see if they had any injuries, calculate their scoring average and the time they missed because of injury during college and add that to their national scoring record. (I'm being sarcastic of course)
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry I'm with sohl

"Poor girl," what about the poor girl whose record was broken? Nobody was crying for her. Look how upset everyone was about the 'gift' sack that Favre gave to Strahan last year. That wasn't nearly as blatant as this mockery of the game. I remember what Michael Jordan had to say about it. "If they threw me the ball in that situation, I would have passed it off." She might have a record, but it's tarnished as far as I'm concerned. Injury is a part of the game.