The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Had this situation...Team A has a spot throw in on the baseline in their BC out towards the sideline. A1 makes a long pass to A2 at the division line. A2 catches it with one foot in and one foot OOB. I told R to award spot throw in at div line because I interpreted that A2 caused the ball to be OOB. He violently disagreed and ordered ball inbounded on baseline. Besides making me look like an idiot, it gave B and advantage in that there was 1.9 seconds left in the first half and they were able to inbound the ball and make a last second 3. At the half we discussed it. We agreed as to what happened in that A2 caught the in bound pass with one foot in and one foot OOB. He said the ball was never inbounds and had to go to the original spot. I told him my interpretation was that A2 had caused the ball to go OOB and therfore it wasn't a thow in violation. Rule 7-6 supports my interpretation. What is the correct spot of the succeeding throw in and rule reference (NFHS). Thanks in advance.

Mregor

[Edited by Mregor on Feb 24th, 2003 at 11:03 AM]
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Even with one foot inbounds, the receiving player was still out of bounds. The throw-in did not touch an inbounds player so take the throw-in back to the original spot. Your partner was correct. How did he violently disagree...did he pull a gun on you? :-)

Z
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Even with one foot inbounds, the receiving player was still out of bounds. The throw-in did not touch an inbounds player so take the throw-in back to the original spot. Your partner was correct. How did he violently disagree...did he pull a gun on you? :-)

Z
Z,
You may want to rethink that.
See 7-6-1
mick
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

NFHS: Rule 7:6:1
"...The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched...."

My first instinct was to side with your partner, but looks like I was wrong.

snaqwells
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Z,
You may want to rethink that.
See 7-6-1
mick
Gulp. My bad. Thanks Mick. Hey Mgregor, still interested in how your partner got violent with you.

Z
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an easy way to think of this play....

The big question is "who violated?" When you change the play a little, it becomes very clear.

What if, instead of A2, it had actually been B2 that touched/caught the ball with one foot OOB? Would this be a violation on A1 giving the ball to B? No, it is the player who catches/touches the ball while OOB who has violated.

If it were the thrower, B would only need to get a foot OOB and touch the ball to force a violation on the thrower. Of course, this is NOT the intent...to give a team the ball for touching it OOB.

Violation on the receiver of the pass, not the thrower. The throwin spot is the spot where the ball is touched OOB.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

He didn't get violent, and I guess violent was a bad choice of words. When I blew the whistle and pointed to the spot and said white - spot throw in, he shouted, "No, white on baseline" and threw the ball to me for inbounds. I went to talk to him about it and he gave me the stop signal and repeated "white on basline". At this point I gave in and took the ball back to the baseline. Now everyone in the Gymn thinks I'm an idiot and don't know the rules. As a matter of fact, I called a BC violation in the second half when the kid caught a pass from a teammate while airborne after they jumped from the BC. Coach went ballistic and I explained that his player still had BC status when they caught the ball in the air. He looked to the R for reassurance that it was correct most likely because of our little disagreement in the first half. I'm not sure of his repsonse because by that time I had turned and headed back to my Lead position on the baseline. He is a Senior official that does assigning for some rec leagues and I respect him. He runs a quality program and has many varsity officials working which gets the kids better games than the run of the mill rec officials (IMHO). He is older (late 60's, maybe early 70's) and did state finals as well as small college ball when he was in his prime. I think he felt bad about it because after the tournament was over he thanked me and said I was a great partner.

Mregor
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

I had just a quick thought on your situation? Why were both of you looking at this particular play? Whose sideline was the call in? Correct or incorrect interpretations aside, the situation with your partner one-upping you could have been avoided if only one of you was looking where they were supposed to, unless I'm misunderstanding the play. Just wondering.