The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 03:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - local girls program does really well

A Portland based prep program - Team Concept - had one of their girls teams (called "Heat") win the 32 team Las Vegas Live Tournament this week. They held teams to an average of just over 11 points per game (not a typo) and scored mostly in the 70s to win all six of their games. In it's last three tournaments, the team is 19-1. They won the End of the Oregon Trail tournament and finished 6-1 at the Nike Summer Showcase in Chicago. Girls on the team have received offers from Tennessee, Duke and Notre Dame.

BTW - their center is 6'5".
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 09:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A Portland based prep program - Team Concept - had one of their girls teams (called "Heat") win the 32 team Las Vegas Live Tournament this week. They held teams to an average of just over 11 points per game (not a typo) and scored mostly in the 70s to win all six of their games. In it's last three tournaments, the team is 19-1. They won the End of the Oregon Trail tournament and finished 6-1 at the Nike Summer Showcase in Chicago. Girls on the team have received offers from Tennessee, Duke and Notre Dame.

Yay. Another "powerhouse" AAU team. Yay again. I wish there'd be an off-season for these players -- maybe they could learn how to play another sport or, perhaps, just be children for a while.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

cool story
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 11:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile Update

Yesterday, the Team Concept Heat won the 48 team East Bay Xplosion "Summer in the City" tournament in Berkeley. They beat the host team, EBX, 64-50 in the final. They won all five of their games there. About 35 college coaches attended the championship game on Sunday, the final day of the recruiting period.

The Team Concept program got a bonus on Sunday when it's number 2 team, the Fire, won the (lower) high school division at that tournament.

The teams now have two months off and resume tournament play in October. They're trying to put together a tournament here in Portland at that time.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Yay. Another "powerhouse" AAU team. Yay again. I wish there'd be an off-season for these players -- maybe they could learn how to play another sport or, perhaps, just be children for a while.
To be fair, I would have loved to play basketball as much as these kids do today and travel during the summer doing it. Not everyone likes other sports too. I agree with you if the kids like playing other sports, but by this age most kids have decided what they want to do. And girls are not likely to play many other sports other than softball during the summer. It is not like they are missing football practice during this time.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
They won the End of the Oregon Trail tournament and finished 6-1 at the Nike Summer Showcase in Chicago. Girls on the team have received offers from Tennessee, Duke and Notre Dame.

I worked that tournament last week or so and I worked the Championship game with the oldest kids that involved at least 4 All-American (based on what a coach from Texas A&M told me). One of the girls was going to UConn from the team from Texas. That was the best girl's basketball I have ever seen while working as an official and only 2 girls were not 5'10 or taller. One team was from Texas and the other was from Virginia.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I worked that tournament last week or so and I worked the Championship game with the oldest kids that involved at least 4 All-American (based on what a coach from Texas A&M told me). One of the girls was going to UConn from the team from Texas. That was the best girl's basketball I have ever seen while working as an official and only 2 girls were not 5'10 or taller. One team was from Texas and the other was from Virginia.

Peace
JRut working g i r l s ball, WHAT!!
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
JRut working g i r l s ball, WHAT!!
It is summer ball, enough said.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yezzzir! And thank God its almost over.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 12:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yezzzir! And thank God its almost over.
Well if that is how you feel, why take the games? I worked this past weekend and if it was not for the money and the time I would have done something else.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well if that is how you feel, why take the games?
I love bball & I got the bug... cannot stay away JRut!

The environment & things we have to deal with in summer vs winter ball has me very excited for The Season to start. That's all...
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I love bball & I got the bug... cannot stay away JRut!

The environment & things we have to deal with in summer vs winter ball has me very excited for The Season to start. That's all...
I am just saying if you are waiting for it to be over then you might want to reevaluate why and how much you are doing it, that is all. Then again I work other sports and have other things that spark my interest. I have a football season to look forward to and I have been doing football camps or trainings since early June. And when the football season is over, I am mad it is over.

Peace