The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've been doing so much softball that I have not had time to start an exercise and/or running program to get me into "basketball shape". I'm in good shape but I want to be in tip-top shape when the season begins instead of using the games to get me into shape which I was guilty of last year.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Running program:

Day 1: Use your car to measure a distance 2.5 miles from your house.

Day 2: Run there, turn around, run home.

Repeat.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I run intervals to get ready for the season. Run hard for a minute or so, then walk for the same amount of time. I usually start doing this for 20 minutes a session (I almost always run on a treadmill) and work my way up to 40 minutes. I feel that running intervals is more like the running we do during the season. Also I've read that interval running does not break down muscle as quickly as distance running. On my off nights, I usually play some pick-up basketball. It's much easier for me to push myself a little harder when there's some competition.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Find a basketball court in a park or other open area. Run back and forth as if in a game setting. Practice accelerating and decelerating (sp?). Run one length on your toes, then walk one length on your heels, then toes, then heels. Stretch appropriately before and after.

OR

Find a fall ball setting. This will also help you "exercise" your wallet!
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I started to run this summer. My goal was to be in great shape as well, but it eventually became too expensive for me.

I would run 10km each morning, but the cab fares home were too much on the wallet.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Basically all good advice so far (especially always having cab fare). I usually start about now (summer softball junkie too) as softball running is different than basketball. I usually start by walking a couple miles every few days for the first week just to readjust the muscle groups. Increase the walking speed, distance and number of days (on the 7th day god created football, BBQ and beer). I then start jogging the same distance about every other day and start to work in wind sprints and line drills and side to side shuffels on the odd days. By the end of October I am usually in pretty good shape. Don't forget to also get your mechanics in shape. Work the mirror. Work on finger flexing (really) to make sure your fingers are limber (getting older with achy fingers sucks).
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Another way to get into shape and work on your mechanics and the new rules all at once is to find some *gasp* Fall Rec Leagues that use officials and get in on some of that. I know people will frown on working rec ball, but it is a good way to get in game shape, not only physically but mentally as well.

Currently around here the fall leagues are in full swing with most local high schools fielding teams. You get to see the same players you'll be seeing during the regular season, but probably not the coaches, as coaches aren't allowed to actually coach yet. That's both good and bad, as the parents who fill in are often worse in just about every respect than the regular head coaches. But then there are some who just sit there and say nothing.

[Edited by Smitty on Oct 11th, 2005 at 03:19 PM]
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I lift and run year-round but there is no substitute for the actual stop-and-start of officiating basketball. Treadmills and bikes are nice and smooth as opposed to the joint-unfriendly moves and sprints we make while reffing. I too go over to the dark side and officiate some fall HS rec leagues ("forgive me father for I have sinned") to get in officiating shape.

Z
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I started to run this summer. My goal was to be in great shape as well, but it eventually became too expensive for me.

I would run 10km each morning, but the cab fares home were too much on the wallet.
So why not just run 5 km instead and then turn around and run back?

[Edited by Whistles & Stripes on Oct 11th, 2005 at 06:45 PM]
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 08:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

So why not just run 5 km instead and then turn around and run back?
Sure, where were you the past two summers!!??!!