The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Independent

So, say you signed up for a summer league with 4 game sets on 2 courts 1 night a week. After working several dates the assignor says (on the day of) its been cut down to a 2 game set on the final night. We have the right to accept/decline the new contract, no?
Thoughts...
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

This would depend on the area you live and the person you are getting games from. In my experience the only contract is an email one where they ask you to work the game and you accept. If they change the circumstances then you could decide to not accept the assignments. How that is received and how that affects your career with that person might be the biggest fall out. I do not see how legally anyone can hold you to the commitment other than what standards apply to your area or policies of your association.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The assignor is a HS/NCAA official, one of many that I only work off-season ball for. You basically go to their website & email your open dates to get games.

Pros vs. Cons

This particualr assignors games are nowhere near my home (1 tollway & 2 highways) but they pay cash on the spot! I believe I'll be okay as my other guys have some sort of games on those same nights anyway (minus the cash) but they also are not walking around the gym pacifying the upset players nor starting games late to wait on players either. At one point this assignor cancelled entire 4 game sets on me, 2 weeks in a row while I was in route! Sorry was all they said & I guess I was supposed to just be okay with that. But just as usual, when the official turns one back now there's a problem. In my case, I really didn't turn anything back, I just didnt accept the new offer.
Unfortunately, I may not get picked up in a JC where I recently camped because of his ties to the Supervisor. But if thats how they choose to do things, perhaps thats not the league for me anyway!!
Everything else that I work, he cannot touch
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

When you accept any game, you need to decide if you are doing a game for money, opportunity, prestige or to help someone out. You could include a few other things but you should get the idea. And during the summer a couple of those things might not even apply. So if you cannot work the game because it would not be worth the travel, then say that and move on. If I am going to get half of what I originally accepted and the travel does not change, I would be OK saying no.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Off-season factors: Pay, travel, level of play... PERIOD.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

If I wanted out, I'd tell him I'd do the first one to help him out, but that it's not worth it to go for just 2 games and he should find someone else for the rest.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 05:20pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
So, say you signed up for a summer league with 4 game sets on 2 courts 1 night a week. After working several dates the assignor says (on the day of) its been cut down to a 2 game set on the final night. We have the right to accept/decline the new contract, no?
Thoughts...

Verbal contracts are legal and binding in Ohio. That said, lets look at the the type of games you are officiating: summer league. The league assigner said that he would assign you 4 games a night, one night a week; after a few weeks something occured within the league that meant that the last night of the league was going to be only 2 games. Its summer league, this kind of stuff happens all of the time, don't sweat it. Summer league is a chance to get paid to practice.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 07:09pm. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 05:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Verbal contracts are legal and binding in Ohio.
I am not a lawyer, but I would think most states accept oral or verbal contracts on some level. But I know that all kinds of those contracts would not be binding or if the original terms change on that contract changes I am sure someone could refuse the newer terms even in Ohio. And the person that claims you violated the terms would have to have some evidence to prove you broke the terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
That said, lets look at the the time of games you are officiating: summer league. The league assigner said that he would assign you 4 games a night, one night a week; after a few weeks something occured within the league that meant that the last night of the league was going to be only 2 games. Its summer league, this kind of stuff happens all of the time, don't sweat it. Summer league is a chance to get paid to practice.

MTD, Sr.
If I am 5 minutes from the site that might be one thing, if I am going an hour or more that might be another thing all together. In many cases 2 summer games might not pay the gas to drive to the site. It has got to be worth your time too.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Off-season factors: Pay, travel, level of play... PERIOD.
Is it just me or is $$$ always the #1 item on your list?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 08:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

For me, mutual respect is number one.

When I assigned a baseball league, I pushed hard for the league to pay umpires a full game fee if the game wasn't canceled 2 hours beforehand. Also, if the start time was changed (for whatever reason), I emphasized to the league that this was a change of contractual terms and the officials were under no obligation to accept the change. And if the teams did change the time/terms within 2 hours, they were responsible to find their own umpires.

After 3 years, I still had enough of their nonsense.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Is it just me or is $$$ always the #1 item on your list?
I sure hope so!!

Ummm no, the LOVE of the GAME is always #1 on my list... in-season & off-season!! I never list it because I figured its was a given amongst us brothers

I give back to my association, I attend multiple camps (more than 2) every summer, I clinician at the local camps, I give freeley of my time to my mentee & others, I invest in programs to help me improve as an official.
WTF are you talking about

If it were ALL about the money:
I would be happy with the upcoming changes from 3 to 2 person for a higher rate.
I would continue to work wreck ball for extra money during the season.
I would keep a couple dollars of the officials game fee for the tournaments I assigned.
I wouldn't drive HOURS solo for a low paying JC game.
I wouldn't turn 2 person games into 3 person (for FREE) when my court has a forfeit &/or if I feel like coming in a game early/staying a game later.
Again, WTF are you talking about

I believe you have me confused... he is not me & I am not him!
The GAME is my motivation for doing what we do.
The fact of the matter is, I've INVESTED in myself, there is money to be made while doing what I love to do & I'm going to get a *RETURN without losing my integrity/dignity/family/soul.

Dont you seek a RETURN on your INVESTMENTS??

Perhaps this is just a hobby for you?

Although its not my vocation, I treat it just as, if not, more business than my business.

* RETURN can be monetary, prestige, respect, friendships, honor, etc

Last edited by tref; Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 10:01am.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 11:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
When I assigned a baseball league, I pushed hard for the league to pay umpires a full game fee if the game wasn't canceled 2 hours beforehand.
Our local kids rec league has a policy that we pay the refs if any of their games are canceled within 24 hours of the original scheduled time. Since the league controls the schedule, about the only time this happens is due to a last minute weather school closure. And, of course, here in Oregon that just about never happens.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 05:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tigers In Oregon, Mountain Lions In Connecticut ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last minute weather school closure. And, of course, here in Oregon that just about never happens.
Hey Mark Padgett: Wouldn't they cancel games if there was a tiger on the loose?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 06:02pm.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 06:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey Mark Padgett: Wouldn't they cancel games if there was a tiger on the loose?

Believe it or not, this guy is actually my congressman. About a month ago, I publicly endorsed his main opponent and my endorsement is on that guy's website. It carries some weight because it states I am a former county party chairman, which I am.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bizarro Congressman ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Believe it or not, this guy is actually my congressman.
Not any more.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)