The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
What do you do when a veteran official tells you practice a certain mechanic or positioning and then you watch him/her and they don't practice what they preach?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Do it!!! I am most concerend about making myself a better ref. I can't do anything to make my partner better. It is similar to what my mother in law told me before I married her daughter. "This is they way she is, don't plan on changing her after you marry her. She won't change". Little did she know.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
What do you do when a veteran official tells you practice a certain mechanic or positioning and then you watch him/her and they don't practice what they preach?
Do as I say, don't do as I do.

You got to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Or it may be that they are using NCAA mechanics at times.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
If the recommendation is correct, then follow the advice. Just be aware that we all have our little predjudices and quirks, and sometimes these things interfere with our officiating. If the recommendation from the senior official sounds wrong or doesn't seem to work, ask other senior officials in your area. The mechanic may not be the best or even the "correct" way to work - even if the senior says so.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
The hard part is when each ref during a pregame asks the other officials to do something a different way.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you think the veteran is correct, add it to your took kit. If you think they are incorrect, just say, "ok" and then ignore the advice. If you argue with them, you'll soon get a reputation as a know-it-all and you'll never get any advice again. About 80% of the veteran advice I got when I was starting out was good stuff. The other 20% conflicted with the NFHS officials manual. I just nodded my head and ignored that 20%. At the state tournaments, my experience has been that they want the game called by the NFHS rules and officials manual so I always go by the book.

Z
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

"They don't practice what they preach." But...it has helped me out a great deal. These veterns are giving good advice to the new guys. Most do their own thing because they have done their time. If you get advice, cherish it because a lot of times they don't give much advice.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I first started officiating, I discussed this with some of the "veteran" officials. I was told something to the effect that "I am already where you are trying to go". In other words, do as I say, not as I do. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way the game is played.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Coaches do it all the time!

Many great coaches who produce great players were not great players themselves. If I could have played up to the level of my knowledge, I would have been really good. It always pays to listen!