The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Sometimes I really hate this time of the season... game last night between two teams tied for third place (and top 3 make playoffs)...home team up by 13 at half... home team scores one (yes, I said 1) basket the entire second half!!! AND THEY WON!!! We called 21 fouls on the visiting team the second half...their coach told my partner that the home team has a low free throw average as a team, so they were going to make the home team win it at the line...home team shot 20-28 from the line to win it - including the two for the T on visitng coach for yelling "That's bullsh1t" across the court at my partner...sigh...end of the season games are sure fun...
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Coach was correct

If they were really fouling this much as a strategy, your partner should have agreed with the coach's comment - they were turning the game into BS
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Angry

I had my first ever playoff game the other night. Everyone talks about how district games are the best because of the crowd, the atmosphere, etc... Yeah Right!!
#3vs#4 It was a 60 point game, we were doing a three man crew, and there were no fans. That sucked big time!!
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 08:06am
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
..their coach told my partner that the home team has a low free throw average as a team, so they were going to make the home team win it at the line...
Sounds like these were all intentional fouls.

Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 11:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Only if you are willing to "intentionally" sabotage your officiating career

Rich
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
I had my first ever playoff game the other night. Everyone talks about how district games are the best because of the crowd, the atmosphere, etc... Yeah Right!!
#3vs#4 It was a 60 point game, we were doing a three man crew, and there were no fans. That sucked big time!!
Devil-

Rather than be bitter about a blowout, you should be thankful for your 1st playoff game.

Yeah, 60 point blowouts are no fun, but sometimes they can be just as challenging as a tight game. Keep your focus, try to keep your partners in the game. Work on your mechanics, or try something new. I'll challenge my partners that I can get from T to L in the least amount of steps.

I know from another thread that you said you can be cocky. Well, here's where you can start adjusting your attitude.

Otherwise, tell your assignor that you only want the "good" games...and see where that gets you.

Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've been officiating high school ball for two years and I worked my first post season first round tournament game last nite, girls. I have to admit I was quite excited about getting one after just two years and as expected, just wondered how I would perform. After the game, I would have to say and hopefully, I did fine. I know I missed a couple but didn't get much feedback from the coaches on the missed calls.

Anyway, I worked with a veteran official (33 years) and mentioned to him during pregame about my experience level and he said work hard, hustle but don't rush and that I would do just fine. BUT, several times during the game when we talked and even after the game, he kept saying how the game "SUCKED" and play was terrible. Score was 40-28 and yes, play could have been hopefully better, but wasn't. After the game, I asked him if he observed anything that I needed to work on. There wasn't, so I must have done a great job. To sum it up, I was still excited about the game and will work two boys first round tournament games next week with yet another veteran offical. Will see how these go.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Thats true, the hardest part is staying focused. I didn't mean to come across ungrateful for the game, but in those games there's no feedback. I love feeedback. I'm always asking people to evaluate me. I just want to get better. I think I realize know more than ever that I just have to take my time and the better games will come, thanks for bringing back down to earth pizanno.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by donj
I've been officiating high school ball for two years and I worked my first post season first round tournament game last nite, girls.
Congratulations, Don!! I bet it feels good to get one under your belt. You already making plans to get into the second round next year? Seriously, I'm glad it went well for you. Congrats, again!

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 02:16pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by donj
...I worked my first post season first round tournament game last nite, girls. .

Attaboy !!!