The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
yeah I was just using my mouse reading the umpire joke page and yeah ... Made me think about what hand I normally use. I am right hand dominatn use my left occasionally. But what hand do you guys use the most on the floor? To signal numbers.. the hand u point with. The hand u start your signals with, the hand u start/stop clock with. Ever really thought about it? What hand do you start your count with? Little things like this just show me how bored I am now that I have no basketballl to referee LOL! Well untill I goto the Rice camp this summer/
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

The fact that I'm right handed doesn't necessarily come into play when I officiate. For example:

1- On an inbounds play, I hand the ball to the thrower,and count 5 seconds with the hand that is closest to the thrower. I chop time in with the other hand. Then, I count BC with the chopping hand, if in the BC.

2- When the ball goes OOB, I stop the clock with the same arm that I going to point with. For example, if I'm lead, opposite tableand have an OOB call where the offense will retain the ball, I'll stop the clock and point with my left hand. If the defense gets the ball, I would stop the clock and point with the right hand. Doing this, I don't have to use both hands and I don't have to cross over my body to point.

3- Normally, I will stop the clock for a foul with my right hand, unless, it's a foul where we're going the other way and my right side is toward the way we're going. Then, I would stop the clock with my left hand and point the other way with my right.

4- During FTs, I always wrist flick count with the hand fartherest away from the shooter.

5- I always report number with my right hand, although I actually prefer, and do so in AAU, using both hands.

Hope that clears it up for you!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:52am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I don't think it matters whether you use your right hand or your left hand.

Just don't use your middle leg.

Jeez - where are my meds?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
1- On an inbounds play, I hand the ball to the thrower,and count 5 seconds with the hand that is closest to the thrower. I chop time in with the other hand. Then, I count BC with the chopping hand, if in the BC.
This could be true MOST of the time...but what if your BC count is with your hand AWAY from the table? Don't you want your table side hand to do the BC count?

For example: if you were trail in the BC and handing (or bouncing) the ball to the player on the endline who was between you and the table...you would want to raise your closest hand to the player (and table) so that when you "chopped" in the time you would then have the closest hand to the table doing the counting.

Our State gave us a clinic on this, wanting us to use the closest hand to the table to do the BC count.
Just a thought...wouldn't want you to get "dinged" at your Districts.

Dude

[Edited by RookieDude on Feb 19th, 2003 at 12:10 AM]
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Nope, IMHO I don't think using the hand closer to the table to chop is that big a deal. The timer has a wide view of the floor and should be able to see me, no matter which hand I use, or the ball being touched by a player. Believe what you will but almost all timers start the clock when they see the player touch the ball, not when we chop. Also, I'm never going to be straight lined behind the thrower.

Besides that, I rarely ever chop the clock anymore. Usually, I'm pushing a button.

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Calling fouls.

I only put up my right arm for foul mechanics. I can stop the clock with both arms and use both for table mechanics. That took a lot of practice at summer games to be able to accomplish that.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Besides that, I rarely ever chop the clock anymore. Usually, I'm pushing a button.
Ok, I'm from the sticks. What are you talking about?

Thanks, Stan
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:

Ok, I'm from the sticks. What are you talking about?

Thanks, Stan
The "precision timing system" -- officials start the clock.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
[i]
The "precision timing system" -- officials start the clock.
Duh. I've heard of that, never seen it. Is it worthwhile and is it expensive? I guess any cost is expensive considering no schools here will go with three whistles.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Tony: When did NC start using the precision system? I have used it a couple of times (whistle to stop clock), but never used anything to "start/chop" clock. One of the guys in my association (at least I think he is still here) was involved with selling this device and we used it for about a month -- seemed to work pretty good.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I use my right arm for stopping the clock on a foul and reporting foul numbers. I picked up these ambidextrous habits from various veteran refs:

1. My 10 second BC count is always to the center of the court
2. I don't count directly at a player on OOB plays. I think itÂ’s a distraction they can do without. I also donÂ’t count aloud which I see others do more and more
3. For OOB calls, I use the same arm to stop the clock and point a direction (4 & 5 determine which arm)
4. I try not to turn away from the court to point a direction
5. I never cross my body with my arm to point a direction
6. I use a visible but subdued 10 second count during FT with hand facing BC
7. Switch arms to indicate change in closely guarded count (by the book...)
8. I indicate the number of shots to my partner with the left arm during a foul call. I used to just extend two fingers from my closed right fist but I always felt like I was giving the peace sign (no offense Rut...)
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:08am
9 times

The only thing I do with one hand is stop the clock for fouls with my right. I will use either for everything else.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb $2000 maybe.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Duh. I've heard of that, never seen it. Is it worthwhile and is it expensive? I guess any cost is expensive considering no schools here will go with three whistles.
Well an AD told me that it cost them about $2000 to by the system last year. This school was hosting a Sectional and wanted the system for the post season. I guess it depends on what the school values or if they have money in their budget.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Left...

When I began officiating, I had just hurt my right arm pretty badly playing softball.
I raised my left arm for all fouls, and I have continued to do so.(still have a bad right shoulder)
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Tony: When did NC start using the precision system? I have used it a couple of times (whistle to stop clock), but never used anything to "start/chop" clock. One of the guys in my association (at least I think he is still here) was involved with selling this device and we used it for about a month -- seemed to work pretty good.
Precision Time was invented by former NBA Official Mike Constable, who lives in Hillsborough, NC. We have about 50 high schools in the state that have purchased the system over the last two years. It's also used at the Regional Tournaments and State Championships. It costs between $2000 and $3000, depending on which system is purchased.

The belt pack has a microphone that connects to the lanyard, which stops the clock when the FOX40 is blown. The beltpack has a button on the bottom of it. Sounds like you weren't starting the clock but were allowing the timer to start the clock.

Since the official is starting the clock, there's no need to chop time in. You count with one hand and press the button with the other.

I enjoy using it but it's hard to get in a rhythm with your mechanics when you're using it one night but not using it the next night. That's the only drawback at this point.

http://www.precisiontime.com/