View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

The fact that I'm right handed doesn't necessarily come into play when I officiate. For example:

1- On an inbounds play, I hand the ball to the thrower,and count 5 seconds with the hand that is closest to the thrower. I chop time in with the other hand. Then, I count BC with the chopping hand, if in the BC.

2- When the ball goes OOB, I stop the clock with the same arm that I going to point with. For example, if I'm lead, opposite tableand have an OOB call where the offense will retain the ball, I'll stop the clock and point with my left hand. If the defense gets the ball, I would stop the clock and point with the right hand. Doing this, I don't have to use both hands and I don't have to cross over my body to point.

3- Normally, I will stop the clock for a foul with my right hand, unless, it's a foul where we're going the other way and my right side is toward the way we're going. Then, I would stop the clock with my left hand and point the other way with my right.

4- During FTs, I always wrist flick count with the hand fartherest away from the shooter.

5- I always report number with my right hand, although I actually prefer, and do so in AAU, using both hands.

Hope that clears it up for you!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith