The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Yeah, what kind of a sick, twisted, evil mind would come up with such a thing???? I am shocked! Shocked I tell ya!

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:11pm
In Memoriam

Confession Time!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Wow. I can't decide which is worse. The fact that you either had this picture at your disposal or spent time and effort finding it; or the fact that you apply it to me!! Yikes!

Chuck
I received that picture in an e-mail from a certain nameless NY official this morning.No message-just the picture. I then logged on here and saw a post that just happened to be kinda applicable.Naturally,I couldn't help myself(as the nameless NY official damn well knew)!

What can I say? I was set up like a bowling pin!

And very thankful that I was,too!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it funny how a different perspective can change the way we look at a situation. For several years we've been chasing our two kids around northeast Louisiana from first rec league games and now junior high and varsity. At some games I've allowed myself to get so mad at the refs that I wanted to tell them a thing or two.

Then this fall I went to an association meeting with a friend of mine. He is a seasoned ref. At the meeting (or clinic) we each received a rules and case book. Two weeks or so later we took the test and I made an 85. After sitting out for 21 years I started calling again at the junior high level. A lot has changed since I started calling right out of high school. We are through now but I got to call nearly 20 junior high games and at least that many in a local rec league.

Soon after going to the clinic I found this sight and what a difference it has made in my learning curve. Many times, after a game, I have come to this sight to ask a question about a situation and found that it had already been answered. Big help.

One of the biggest things that I've noticed in myself is a better tolerence of the officials in the games I've watched. It would seem that it is a lot easier to call a game from the top bench in the gym than it is from the floor. Some of the violations and fouls are much more obvious from there, or is it just me? I still have a pet peeve of officials that stop calling when a games outcome is obvious and blowing the whistle will only slow down going home. Sooner or later someones kid is going to get hurt.

To all the seasoned refs and the coaches that come to this sight; thanks for taking the time each day to answer the often times repeated questions that come up. I only wish that more officials (and coaches) in our area came to this sight to get a better handle on what's going on.

BarryB
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to renoref
Thumbs up Nuts !

Needed a chuckle today. Great pic.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

okay, let this be a lesson to double-check your post before finishing....I mean to say

"especially the nuts and bolts issues like rules knowledge".

Nice pictures.

You have way too much spare time.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster
.... Soon after going to the clinic I found this site and what a difference it has made in my learning curve.
I agree

Quote:

... One of the biggest things that I've noticed in myself is a better tolerence of the officials in the games I've watched. It would seem that it is a lot easier to call a game from the top bench in the gym than it is from the floor. Some of the violations and fouls are much more obvious from there, or is it just me?
That is why it is impossible for the average "fanatic" to understand how an official might miss an "obvious" call.

Quote:

I still have a pet peeve of officials that stop calling when a games outcome is obvious and blowing the whistle will only slow down going home. Sooner or later someones kid is going to get hurt.
I will loosen my rules enforcement on minor violations in a "blowout" situation (Winning team is up by an unsurmountable score with far too little time for the opponent to challenge), but contact (especially by the leading team) will draw a quicker whistle; especially if the "leading" coach is not "calling off the dogs".

Quote:

To all the seasoned refs and the coaches that come to this sight; thanks for taking the time each day to answer the often times repeated questions that come up. I only wish that more officials (and coaches) in our area came to this sight to get a better handle on what's going on.
I share your attitude that this site is a positive thing.