View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace

My first tech was a little emotional. I'll admit... And yeah. EVERYONE had the same reaction. After I call a tech I dont say anything. I motion for my partner to meet me half way. And I tell him what happened, get a shooter, and get ready to shoot. I then turn around and report the tech. Approach the coach and tell him what happened and why I gave it if its not obvious atleats or if he says i didnt warn him (shouldnt have to in my book but its rec ball - atleast thats what my comish tells me) and then go clear everyone out and assit my paretner in the free throws. The biggest mistake I ever made was kinna getting verbal with a coach - Kinna baiting him and then whacked him. I know what i should have said and what I should I havnt said. he prolly woulda still got the T though.
You did fine until you talked to the coach. Report the T from the back of the reporting box/reporting area. If you don’t have an “Officials Manual” the top is an imaginary line running from the top center of one key through the center circle to the top center of the other key. )—O—(

You told your partner what happened, let him/her go to the table and make sure the T is recorded correctly as a T, a personal, and a team. This way the coach does not have THE target (you) to vent to. Your partner can tell him what happened and walk away. We all feel a need to defend our calls at times but since your partner did not call it he has nothing to defend. While this is going on ask the other coach who the shooter is and get him/her to the line ASAP. The faster you get things rolling the less chance there is of a problem.