The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 06:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Since my neighbor rockyroad likes to quote the Bozo show, I thought I'd share this tidbit from my Howdy Doody DVD. On the final Howdy Doody show in 1960, Clarabell spoke for the first time. What did he say:

a) You know, Buffalo Bob, you're really kind of cute.
b) Who let those twerpy brats into the studio, anyway?
c) Don't you think Chief Thunderthud was a derogatory Native American stereotype?
d) How did Princess Summerfallwinterspring change from being a puppet into being a real person anyhow? Were the Raelian's behind it?
e) Why didn't we ever tell the truth about Flub-A-Dub: that he's a mutant.
f) How come everyone on this show ate all those Hostess Cupcakes and never had to go to the bathroom?
g) How do you think Doodyville got its name in the first place? I won't say, but be careful not to step in the cowabunga.
h) Goodbye, kids.

First one to guess the correct answer gets a mangle wurtzel.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to guess (h)...good-bye kids.
But, I don't care to have one of those pretzel thingymujigs...thanks anyway.

Dude
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I guess "A".
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 07:12pm
In Memoriam

Who?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Smile From the "Peanut Gallery"

I think "h"
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Coaches favorite option (i)

Option
(i). "Gethimoff overtheback three seconds!"
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

h) Goodbye, kids.

And did you know that there were 2 Clarabells?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 10:35pm
In Memoriam

Cool

I have a Howdy Doody doll (Oops, no boots) and had a Howdy Doody record.

If you think you use your feet
when you cross the street,
Here's a surprise!
Cuz your pal, Howdy, knows
If you had fifty toes,
You still cross the street with your eyes.

Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Who's Howdy Doody?

And, whatthehell's a Clarabell?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Who's Howdy Doody?

And, whatthehell's a Clarabell?
Young punk!
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 10:18am
Esteemed Participant

I'm gonna guess B...even though I know what the answer really is, I like B better...having grown up in Alaska, we had a local (actually from Anchorage so not really "local") kids afternoon show called "Mother Moose" - bet none of you ever heard of that one!!! (except maybe AKRefSE)...
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I will say H, Goodbye Kids, though a little before my time, who he later became and made famous was not.
So for the bonus stiker book of rules that fans think are in the book but really are not
1.What is his name?
2.What TV character did he become and make famous to millions of kids and families?

CK
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Clarabell the Clown - A silent, red-haired clown living in the circus frontier town of Doodyville, USA on the live-action children's program HOWDY DOODY/NBC/1947-60. Dressed in a baggy, body length green and white zebra striped costume, Clarabell Hornblow Clown (his full name) carried a small utility box strapped below his chest in which he kept his squeaky, Harpo Marx-like horn (He talked via "yes" and "no" honks) and a bottle of seltzer water often used to squirt Buffalo Bob Smith, the program's host. Over the years three different performers played Clarabell. The first was Bob Keeshan, a young NBC employee chosen for the part to hold cue cards and to mingle with and control the kids of the "Peanut Gallery" (the audience). Since Keeshan had no previous acting experience, and non-speaking parts saved the program money, he was given no lines on the show. The silent act also reminded loud or unruly Peanut Gallery members to keep quiet during the taping of the program. Keeshan later left the program and became the star of his own children's series, CAPTAIN KANGAROO. He was replaced by Henry McLaughlin, Bobby Nickelson and finally by Lew Anderson. Edwin Alberian (died of pneumonia 03/31/97) portrayed Clarabell during public appearances with Buffalo Bob Smith and the rest of the Howdy Doody gang during the mid 1950s. He also appeared on the show making animal balloons as a character called Professor Gasbags. During the early episodes of the program, Bob Keeshan as Clarabell originally wore only a green and white outfit and no makeup. When Emmett Kelly, Sr., the famous tramp clown appeared on the show and saw Keeshan with no "Clown" makeup, he created an original makeup job for Keeshan on live television, giving him a rubber skull cap with a fringe of red hair, greasepaint face and the official name of "Clarabell." (Actor Henry Fonda starred as Emmett Kelly in his biography "Clown" seen on the 3/27/55 production of GENERAL ELECTRIC THEATER). Edward Kean, later wrote a Clarabell theme song to the tune of "Mademoiselle From Armentieres." Buffalo Bob and the Kids of the Peanut Gallery would sing it to show their appreciation. It went something like this:

Buffalo Bob: Oh, who's the funniest clown you know?
Peanut Gallery: CLARABELL!
Buffalo Bob: And Who's the clown on Howdy's show?
Peanut Gallery: CLARABELL!
Buffalo Bob: Well, his feet are big, his tummy's stout,
but we could never do without.
Everybody: CLARA-CLARA-CLAR-A-BELL!

Clarabell was once raffled off to a lucky fan during the 1950s. The prankster clown visited the home of the fan who wrote the best twenty-five words or less letter saying why he or she wanted Clarabell to stay with them. Another clown seen on the series was the evil clown called Pesky who taunted Clarabell. After 2,343 programs, THE HOWDY DOODY SHOW left the air on September 24, 1960, but not before Clarabell, silent for 13 years, uttered the closing line, "Goodbye Kids."

Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Very good mick.
I have to get this off my chest, I lied, I was thinking of Bob Keeshan who played Clarabell from 47-52, when I said a little before my time, in reality as Mark stated the Last show was in 1960, I was 1. So now I feel sooo much better, or do I, up till now I still thought I was 30.

CK
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
I went to college with Howdy Doody

Actually, a college classmate of mine was the son of one of the producers of the show - last name Muir. My classmate, who was 6'7" when I knew him, was literally the model for the puppet. Didn't look much like him by the time he was in college, but still had the forehead and the freckles. (And even though he was tall he couldn't play basketball worth a darn.) There was also another puppet on the show whose name had "Muir" in it, but I don't remember it exactly. He was one of the characters who was some sort of manager, and was modeled after the dad.

I had a 5th grade classmate who was thrown out of the Peanut Gallery for yelling out "It's 5:30!" when Buffalo Bob said "Say kids, what time is it?" Man, what trouble makers our generation was. It's a good thing kids today don't do anything so disrespectful!

Gosh, am I old!