The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

3-man mechanics; HS Girls game

I'm lead, partner T; Double whistle. I have a foul and yield to the T.(came from his area) He comes to me and says I have her dragging her pivot foot, but go with your foul (By now I have lost the player foul and guessing) I report a foul on #30. BUZZZZZ There is no 30 in the book. Bad guess. I thought well, there was a "3" in it. "#35." My partner, in the meantime was asking the girls on the line (shooting foul) who just fouled that girl. One raises her had, it's #43. So I change my # 3 times and just looked terrible. I had people laughing, as I was my self to keep tension down, but was very unprofessional.

I'm thinking to myself why didn't my partner just call travel in the first place. Would've saved alot of headache and embarrassment!
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Don't feel bad...we have ALL lost the number one time or another.
Your partner did exactly what I have done if we lose a number...JUST ASK THE PLAYERS...it usually works!

BTW, it's not about being "unprofessional"...it's about being "human". (Don't tell anybody, but we are not perfect)

Dude
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Did the foul cause the dragging of the pivot foot??? Please clarify why you decided to go w/ the foul instead of the violation.

Zebra: Everyone forgets a number once in a while. If you are not sure it is better to ask that just guess it seems like everytime I used to guess, I always guessed wrong.... Really makes one look like a jack a$$....
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I lost the number in an 8th grade rec game last Saturday. Dribbler tries to go between 2 defenders (everyone moving in different directions), in this order...defender on the left makes contact, defender on the right makes contact, dribbler falls in a heap and bangs his head on the floor as I blow my whistle for a foul. Kid just lays there and coach runs on the floor.

I get everyone away from the kid so they have room to check him out and it dawns on me I haven't reported the foul. I can remember both defenders number (11 and 22) so I figure, what the heck...I have 50/50 chance..."I have white, 11, push...blue ball on the sideline". W11 yells "11, I was on the right...he was bumped into me." I just tell him "First contact was minor and deemed incidental, your contact however cause the player to go down. That was the foul." He said "Oh...OK" and turned back to his coach.

If you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance...baffle 'em with your BS"
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Don't feel bad...we have ALL lost the number one time or another.
Your partner did exactly what I have done if we lose a number...JUST ASK THE PLAYERS...it usually works!

BTW, it's not about being "unprofessional"...it's about being "human". (Don't tell anybody, but we are not perfect)

Dude
What? If you guys aren't perfect, then what's a poor coach to do?

If this is ture, I don't think I can hang out here anymore.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hey, no biggie. Last night I was T by the table for free throws when 5 players wearing white appear at the table. First shot, I turn to them and ask "Which one of you guys is for the shooter?" A1 looks at me like I have 3 eyes and says "Uhmmmm, we aint shooting ref." "Oh yeah, ha-ha, well lets go, get in the game already."

Someday I'm gonna disable that damn autopilot switch.

Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
State Tourney game.......I call a foul on A1 and as I'm returning to my position on the floor the table informs me it's A1's 5th foul. I turn to the bench and inform the coach "that's 5 on A1" He just looks at me and says "I don't care he's not on my team".....I take a closer look and realize I'm looking at the coach from B. I told him "that's fine, I just wanted you to know", then sheepishly go tell coach A. The state evaluator was crackin up as he was on the endline at the end of bench B.

Needless to say I did the championship game.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

No, my partner said he had a travel first, then contact. In other words he should've taken the travel and we just go to the other end.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
No, my partner said he had a travel first, then contact. In other words he should've taken the travel and we just go to the other end.
In other words,WE should have taken the travel.

Just get together and figure out what happened first.Doesn't take long at all.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
State Tourney game.......I call a foul on A1 and as I'm returning to my position on the floor the table informs me it's A1's 5th foul. I turn to the bench and inform the coach "that's 5 on A1" He just looks at me and says "I don't care he's not on my team".....I take a closer look and realize I'm looking at the coach from B. I told him "that's fine, I just wanted you to know", then sheepishly go tell coach A. The state evaluator was crackin up as he was on the endline at the end of bench B.

That's good. Something similar happened to me but as I turned to walk the *wrong* way I heard "HEY REF!" from the table. Scorer & timer were both pointing in the other direction!

I said "I knew that", they laughed, I laughed and life went on.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

That's good. Something similar happened to me but as I turned to walk the *wrong* way I heard "HEY REF!" from the table. Scorer & timer were both pointing in the other direction!

Great! Put you two guys together,and then assign a "tour guide" as the third official!
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game

It's all about the pre-game. If I'm the R on a 3 whistle crew, one of the things I always cover is the double whistle. If one of us has a violation out of the C or T position before the foul, typically a travel coming out of our area, take it away strong! If we have a foul out of the C or T position and it's coming out of our area, make eye contact with the L and let's make sure that he or she is not already coming out strong with a block or charge.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
When you have two whistles, one with a open hand the other with the fist, you ALWAYS come together and figure it out.

Words of Wisdom......"Never let a player travel into a foul"
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Great! Put you two guys together,and then assign a "tour guide" as the third official!
Yeah, but I showed great presence. Well, except for when I got dizzy from all the back & forth and almost fell down.

BTW, I better run or my wife's gonna have to meet me at the gym again.
Official Forum Member

I recently had our crew's R pregame that when we have a double whistle with a violation / foul being signaled, we will go with the violation over the foul. Is this something that you guys pregame, or have had pregamed?

BTW I have personally NEVER lost a ummm...aaahh...what were we talking about?