Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

How many of us has this happened to?

here's a hint....

Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

That's a good point. I should've stepped up and said no, we have a travel first.

The pregame, I have never heard of ALWAYS taking the violation first. You could, like previously posted, have a foul causing the violation. Sounds like a cop out to me, like let's get this game over with. Just my opinion.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
It's part of my pregame that in that situation we get together and talk about what happened first..........If a player gets bumped and that causes a travel and you call the violation you are penalizing the player twice. First they don't get the foul, second they lose possesion..........Determine what came first......
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I lost a number yesterday. 8th grade boys, playoffs, overtime. In my area elementary games are only done by one official so I was on my own. The game was played at a neutral site and the team that was supposed to bring scorers forgot so by mutual agreement of the coaches the coach of the forgetful team was keeping the sheet. I asked him before the game if he knew what he was doing and he said "Of course I do." Foolishly I believed him. In the overtime his team was down by a point w/ about 30 seconds left when I called a hold on one of his players. He recorded the foul and then looked back up at me ready to go. I was getting ready to check the ball in when as an afterthought I asked how many team fouls his team had. "Oh, 7" he said brightly. Great, fantastic. "OK, bonus, " I said trying to bluster my way out of it hoping the right kid would go to the line. Lo and behold when I arrived at the other end there was someone standing there ready to shoot. Unfortunately the other team immediately started yelling that he hadn't gotten fouled. After a quick interrogation, backed up with the threat of a technical for lying- the right player got to the line and proceeded to brick the shot. I didn't penalize the team that tried to cheat. Should I have?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

You put yourself in a bind with your threat

There is a technical for the wrong player attempting to shoot the FT. If it was intentional (as opposed to an honest misundrstanding of which contact resulted in your foul call), it is a T. However, you kind of bailed on that when you threatened a T if they didn't own up. At that point, I think you would have looked horrible whacking them.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
It's part of my pregame that in that situation we get together and talk about what happened first..........If a player gets bumped and that causes a travel and you call the violation you are penalizing the player twice. First they don't get the foul, second they lose possesion..........Determine what came first......

That sounds like the voice of reason to me.

After having this pregamed, we had one of these in the game. I (U2) had the travel and (U1) had the foul. He came to me and we determined that the player was pushed from behind (I was straight-lined on the contact) and caused the travel. (R) kinda rolled his eyes at us, but we got the call right.

[Edited by Mike Burns on Feb 13th, 2003 at 04:01 PM]
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
If you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance...baffle 'em with your BS"
I'm definitely going to try this philosophy this weekend!
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
Ron, I wished that I was still in Seattle and still refereed. Refereeing with you was always a blast.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Thanks Brian...I am finishing up my 10th season, heading to the 4A tourney...........Still havin fun........