The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach

Again if you mention it when you greet the coaches it sets the tone. I have had it asked and I politely say, "Coach you need to check with the official book at the table." Like I said earlier we haven't run into any problems yet...still a few weeks to go. The one comment someone made regarding the rules stating the coach must be notified through an official, aren't the official timer and official scorekeeper minor officials?
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
Ref: "Coach, the table made a mistake. You are out of time outs. Do you still want this one?"

Coach: "No"

Ref: "Tweet, White ball on the side, Let's go."

If the other coach objects, say:
"Coach, the Official Scorer told him he had one, I'd do the same thing for you."
Great idea.

As well, it is not our job to keep coaches informed of their TO situation, until they've used up their last one. I agree with previous poster, that's what assistants are for. It is not standoffish or unapproachable to decline in this situation, and it would help eliminate situations like the one that started this thread.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hawks Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Again if you mention it when you greet the coaches it sets the tone. I have had it asked and I politely say, "Coach you need to check with the official book at the table." Like I said earlier we haven't run into any problems yet...still a few weeks to go. The one comment someone made regarding the rules stating the coach must be notified through an official, aren't the official timer and official scorekeeper minor officials?
I am not clear what you are saying. I have never suggested that you should give coaches updates as to their TO situation, even though many refs choose to do so. I am saying that you are, by rule, required to tell them when they used their last TO. And if they ask you or the table and you tell them they have one TO left, and you never change that by notifiying them that their last TO has been used, you are wrong to T them up when they call the TO that you and the table said they had.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you 100% Hawks coach. I posted earlier in this thread what we did which included not giving a "T" to the requesting coach. I can't warrant giving a "T" when the officials (which include the official scorer) misinform him of information. That is not on the coach but rather on us.

As I stated the scorer only notified us that he had no timeouts left when we the V coach called what he thought was his last TO and we reported it to the table. She then beckoned me over and said that she screwed up and that his previous TO was his last. I called both coaches over, explained the situation, told home no "T" would be assessed and granted him an "extra" 30 second TO. I did this because I felt that he probably strategized with his team in the previous timeout with the notion that he had one more TO to use if he needed it. I did use the line, "I'd do the same for you" to the Home coach as well as "it is your book and I have to trust that you have a competent person on the book" (Not to say that she wasn't competent as she has done the book there for quite some time- everyone makes mistakes).