The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Women's college game. We discover a girl with a tongue stud in her mouth. We tell her to remove it and proceed with the game. In the 2nd half we discover a DIFFERENT girl with a tongue stud (same team) we now administer a technical foul.
Did we do this right???
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Did everyone on the team (coach) know that you told the first girl to take it out?

My two sense!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Did everyone on the team (coach) know that you told the first girl to take it out?
Even if they did, the penalty is not a technical foul. The player simply is not allowed to play with the illegal equipment. Send her out of the game until it's removed.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Even if they did, the penalty is not a technical foul. The player simply is not allowed to play with the illegal equipment. Send her out of the game until it's removed.

Chuck
I didn't say that it was, but I was just curious.

My two sense!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
Women's college game. We discover a girl with a tongue stud in her mouth. We tell her to remove it and proceed with the game. In the 2nd half we discover a DIFFERENT girl with a tongue stud (same team) we now administer a technical foul.
Did we do this right???
No...BR pg. 56, Rule 3-7, A.R. 18: "Player A5 is found to be wearing jewelry. Ruling: The game shall be stopped. A5 shall be required to remove the jewelry immediately or be required to leave the game and not return until after removing the jewelry. A5 cannot "buy" the right to wear the jewelry by being charged with an indirect technical foul." So no T, she just leaves the game until she can get it out...
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck, with one expansion.

You must first determine that it is an unsproting act, or making a travisty of the game in order to assess a technical. With the information I have here, I think I'd have passed. You do not, however allow her to participate until the stud is removed.

Blachawk
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I agree with Chuck, with one expansion.

You must first determine that it is an unsproting act, or making a travisty of the game in order to assess a technical. With the information I have here, I think I'd have passed. You do not, however allow her to participate until the stud is removed.

Blachawk
Blackhawk,there is no expansion.The player goes out of the game until the jewelry is removed.They can't come back into the game until it is removed.That's the only penalty for wearing jewelry-> not being allowed on the court until it's removed.The rules do not allow for you to call a T.Chuck had it right,and Rocky quoted the exact rule to you.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic ~
I'm not disagreeing.
My point was that it is one heck of a stretch to call it an unsporting act, or making a travisity of the game. Any act that is determined to cross those lines, however, should be handled accordingly. If there is some circumstatce that we are not aware of here, that would put this in that catagory (although I don't know what it would be), it would have to be handled.
Again, I think Rocky and Chunck have it right in this example. Just offering a little food for thought.

Blackhawk
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 05:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

unsporting travesty

For example, I would think you could call the T if the same woman kept coming back onto the court with the stud in her tongue; forcing you to stop the game and send her to the bench.

snaqwells