The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

So we had a thread with the greatest Comebacks/Lines.

I would like to hear about the funniest/most embarassing moments you may have had on /off the court in the world of basketball.

Funniest here was a partner of mine sprinting(to use it mildly) to keep up with a fast break and takes a header. As he falls he sees a foul occur.

As he tumbling he blows the whistle and as he hits the groung his hand flies up to signal the foul. Call the foul while on his front side lying on the court

Took me a minute or 2 to stop laughing.

Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Saved my chin..

Most embarassing, that's easy.
Gym floor had been refinished and was really sticky, and I caught a toe trying to start up the floor.
Fell face first, but didn't break my fall with hands, or arms.
Chest area was the first to hit floor. Partners remarked that it ("it" meaning uh, you know) saved me from splitting my chin.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I was running from trail to lead, and took a header.
Since I was already down there,I decided to give it a little "flair" getting back up.
Got a nice round of applause from the crowd.
Nothing hurt but my already damaged pride, and a hole in the knee of a perfectly good pair of pants!
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Funny moment

Since you asked for embarassing or funny moments, here's a post that I made a little over a year ago.

Quote:
I was working a very competitive boys varsity game and the gym was pretty full. In the first half, tho, I could hear one woman's voice at certain times. When I would take my Trail position during free throws (2-man game), I would back up toward the sideline opposite the table. Almost every time, I would hear, "Hey ref, move", "Ref, move over", "Ref, move it, I can't see". This happened several times, until right before halftime she says "Hey ref, move your fat @ss!" I didn't reply at all. Merely continued on until halftime.

Second half, I decided to find out who it was. So every time I was trail during free throws, I stood on a different spot, trying to see if she'd pipe up. Sure enough, about 4 minutes left in the game, I heard her, "C'mon ref, move over!" FINALLY!

I took two steps straight back until I was directly in front of her. She put up a hand to hold me off so I didn't fall in her lap. She was sort of handchecking me. I thought to myself "Ha, I gotcha."

As I started back up the court after the second free throw, I turned around very quickly to at least see who it was that had been talking to me. I see the lady sitting there and she says, with a wicked smile "Ref. . . I had my hand on your @ss!"

I almost busted out laughing right on the court. Probably one of the funniest things that's happened to me during a game.
The rest of the thread has a couple other funny stories. If you want to see them, check out http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=3774

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Did the same

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
I was running from trail to lead, and took a header.
Since I was already down there,I decided to give it a little "flair" getting back up.
Got a nice round of applause from the crowd.
Nothing hurt but my already damaged pride, and a hole in the knee of a perfectly good pair of pants!
I added my own flair.... a "safe" signal.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Most funny-embarrassing --

Near the end of camp weekend, boys' varsity. I was in way over my head, and exhausted, both mentally and physically. Whistled an oob, signalled the violation, and shouted, "Red!" Problem was, the teams playing that particular game were blue and white. Got a great laugh!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago, I was attending a referee camp and working one of my assignments. I whistle a foul while A1 is in the act of shooting. No problem so far since the foul was obvious. I go to the table and report. As I turn to go to C, the table tells me I just reported A1(the victim)as the guilty party. Still, no problem. It's happened to the best of us. I turn towards the players to get the right number and ... blank (Have you ever had one of those instances where you can no longer see the play in your head?) The players had all mingled together and I had no idea who the offender was. I picked a number that was close to the spot and reported it. Well, the coach starts complaining that there's no way he did it. He was nohwere near the play, etc.
I go to my partner and asked if he had a clue who the offender was. He didn't. I reported another number. That seemed to make everyone happy and we finished the game w/o incident.

Did I mention that this was a referee camp? Hence, I was getting videotaped. I watched the tape later and , guess what, I still didn't get the right offender.

So, I called the foul on 3 different people (30% of those involved in the game) and I still didn't get the call right. That, my friends, is embarrassing
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Packed house for a boys varsity game...I step into center circle and toss ball up for opening tip...centers jump up and both hit ball at exact same time, causing the visiting center to lose his balance...he flails out with his legs, and kicks me right in the - well, you get the picture...game is off and running, so I can't exactly do anything but try to stagger around for the first few minutes...about 2 min. in, the home coach asks for time-out, and I hit whistle and turn to him with the "Whatcha got Coach, full or 30?"...his response was "Which one do you need? I'm calling this for you." I thanked him, reported the full, and went out into the hallway for the 60 seconds...got a standing ovation when I came back in...
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking More embarrassment?

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris

So, I called the foul on 3 different people (30% of those involved in the game) and I still didn't get the call right. That, my friends, is embarrassing
Barry -
Since you knew the shooter was on offense, you wrongly "accused" 60% of the eligible players.

Now, that my friend, is even more embarrassing!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: More embarrassment?

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
you wrongly "accused" 60% of the eligible players.
Darn it!! You beat me to it, willie.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Good Vibrations

This was more embarassing to the lady involved, but I'm sure I turned red too. Girls HS Varsity game, ball gets deflected OOB towards me as trail. Ball bounces and hits a women's purse sitting on the first row of bleachers. Purse falls over and out rolls a vibrator...three feet onto the court! I picked it up, handed it to her and said, "Here, you might need this later."
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

My most embarrassing moment also involves taking a header, but I can't use the slick or sticky floor excuse.

I was trail beside the ballhandler bring the ball out of backcourt with no pressure, just jogging up the court. I guess I didn't pick my feet up enough and caught a toe and took the big dive. I am a big guy and have a long way to fall. That, along with the fact that everybody saw it since I was right next to the ball made it worse.

The best part is that I looked at it later on tape and it appears that I tripped right over the midcourt line. Gotta tell that school not to put the paint on so thick!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Embarassing

I go out after half-time of upper-state finals (girls Varsity) I start checking my pocket for my whistle and lanyard to no avail. I left it in my jacket with my spare in the dressing room. The first shot of the quarter went in and I yelled to my partners that I would be right back, ran and grabbed security to let me in the dressing room and ran back out in less than 30 secs. No-one new the problem but my partners. It will never happen again.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Same as Andy...
I was running down the floor as lead looking back over my shoulder. I swiftly turned my head and saw something dark on the floor in my way. I thought it was a player or a kid from the stands. I stutter stepped, lost my ballance and did a tumble right on the mascot painted on the floor.

I don't think I even slowed down. The crowd liked it.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

This happened my first year. getting dressed to work a girls freshmen/jv double header. As I sit down to put my shoes on, my pants rip from stem to stern. I worked the first half with staples and paperclips holding my pants together. The student section really seemed to get a kick out of it, everytime I was on their side of the table. Thank God someone told me to wear a pair of black shorts under my pants. The AD found a sewing kit in a teacher's desk, and I did emergency surgery on my pants during half-time.

I now carry at least two sewing kits and a pack of saftey pins in my bag at all times.