The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 04:32pm
We don't rent pigs

In another thread someone made reference to calling 6 games in 1 day. I was curious as to what some personal records are for most games called in 1 day and 1 week. Mine are 11 in 1 day and 30 in 1 week. (This is not a competition, it is merely an exhibition, please, no wagering.) (Oh, one more thing, there are no prizes.)

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I worked 25 youth tournament games in two days about 5 years back. Never again...
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 05:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Never again too.

I think the most I did was about 9 in one day. Turned around and did another 9 the next day. I might be in great shape, but that was brutal.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 08:11pm
Administrator

The most one hour (running clock) games that I have officiating in one day is twelve. The most regular (stopped clock) games that I have officiated in one day is seven. The most regular (stopped clock) games that I have done in one week is 26; and I have a friend that once did 37 (regular (stopped clock) games in one week.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 10:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I was the one who did six yesterday.

The most I've ever done in a day was 13. First game at 8AM, last game at 8PM. That was about nine years ago and will never happen again. 18 minute halves, running clock except last minute first half and last 2 minutes second half.

I was offered 10 for next Saturday, but I have a varsity game Friday, men's rec on Sunday afternoon, and varsity boys on Monday. I took four for Saturday.

Rich
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

The most

I have done 10 (stop clock) consecutive games in a 7th grade tourney.
That was enough.... We had some officials "no-show".
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 03:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, I feel kind of bad. I have never taken more than 4. I know what I'm capable of, and I'm not sure it'd be fair to the teams in the last few games.

snaqs
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Because there is always some fool out there willing to work twelve games in a row, is the reason that we cannot get respectable game fees for weekend rec games. This is what I call being abused.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Because there is always some fool out there willing to work twelve games in a row, is the reason that we cannot get respectable game fees for weekend rec games. This is what I call being abused.
I agree, I know that I lose my edge by the time I am working a 3rd consecutive game.
I would prefer to work 4, or at most 6 games, on any given day;
to include a game break after each 2 games.

However, in most cases officials are called upon to "contribute more."
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
My Questions is

WHY?

Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 09:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Nevadaref - stop being so sanctimonius already.

I had the opportunity to work fewer games for more money Saturday, but turned them down. I like where I've been working Saturdays - we're always appreciated, and I've never had a behavior problem.

They simply cannot get officials to work their program. The town is a small one and is about 25 miles off the beaten path. They schedule officials only to have them turn games back because a "better" (read: closer or pays more) game comes up. These same officials would then turn around and beg the same person that assigns these rec games (she is also the high school AD) for JV or varsity games during the week. THAT is what I find offensive.

I don't need to be working rec ball at all -- I work mostly varsity basketball during the week -- but having me there on my sixth game is better than having an untrained teenager there on his first game. I may be tired, but my eyes and experience work fine.

And in a community rec program where the kids are from 4th to 8th grade, how hard is it to call for an experienced official?

But I guess we should just force the rec programs to raise their fees by turning our noses up at them. Well, let me tell you the reality of the situation. They would rather have parents work the games than pay extortion.

Rich
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 10:04am
Jerry Blum

I don't think I've worked all that many games at one time, but earlier this year I had three varsity games(2 girls and 3-man mechanic boys) in a tourney. Mostly because of bad weather that forced games to be moved back. Wasn't too bad though because I had a break between the first two games and then the last one was 3-man mechanics.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

When I agree to work a tournament, I make sure there are three officials per court. That way, I get a break every third game. However, last year I agreed to fill in where needed at a tournament. Fill in my a$$! I ended up stuck on one court the whole tournament and did 11 straight games. The problem is you are not only physically tired, but mentally tired as well. Of course the most important games are at the end of the day so you are the least sharp in the championship games. I will NEVER put myself in that position again.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 10:30am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Nevadaref - stop being so sanctimonius already.

They schedule officials only to have them turn games back because a "better" (read: closer or pays more) game comes up. These same officials would then turn around and beg the same person that assigns these rec games (she is also the high school AD) for JV or varsity games during the week. THAT is what I find offensive.

I work mostly varsity basketball during the week -- but having me there on my sixth game is better than having an untrained teenager there on his first game. I may be tired, but my eyes and experience work fine.

But I guess we should just force the rec programs to raise their fees by turning our noses up at them. Well, let me tell you the reality of the situation. They would rather have parents work the games than pay extortion.

Rich
Wow...sounds like someone is being sanctimonious... the fact remains that officials quite often "sell" themselves out in these types of tournaments...I have been on both sides - working the multiple games for peanuts, and helping run the tournaments and seeing how much $$$ are brought in by team fees, gate receipts, selling pop and hot dogs, etc...the money paid to the officials is usually an afterthought...it's great that people work 47 games in a weekend, but some of us know better...
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
They schedule officials only to have them turn games back because a "better" (read: closer or pays more) game comes up.
Rich,

I think that this is exactly what Nevada ref is complaining about. If people refused to "fill in" and work 20 games per weekend, then the rec league would have to start offering more money to the officials, so that they wouldn't be tempted to turn the rec games back in.

I'm not sure I agree with him. But I see his point.

Chuck