The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS case play list? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/74048-nfhs-case-play-list.html)

oc Wed Jul 06, 2011 08:04am

NFHS case play list?

Team A is behind by three points when A–1, in front of the team B bench, attempts a 3-point try at the horn. B-6 comes off the bench and blocks the ball just after A–1 releases the ball. Official charges team B with a flagrant technical foul and awards team A three free throws. Is the official correct?

--I remember this play as a NFHS case play on the website a few years back-but can't find it. Can anyone help me find it? If I remember correctly NFHS doesn't save them on the net so there was a thread that stored them on this message board somewhere-but I can't locate that either.

bob jenkins Wed Jul 06, 2011 08:09am

The official is incorrect. The correct penalty is 2 Ts.

Raymond Wed Jul 06, 2011 08:12am

http://forum.officiating.com/search.php?searchid=339116

Do an advanced search on titles with the word "interps".

mbyron Wed Jul 06, 2011 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 770809)
The official is incorrect. The correct penalty is 2 Ts.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B's bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected. One technical foul is assessed for entering the court without permission and one for unsporting conduct. Any member of Team A may shoot the four free throws for the technical fouls. The results of these free throws will determine if the game is over or going into overtime. COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)

tref Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 770815)
2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B's bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot. RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected. One technical foul is assessed for entering the court without permission and one for unsporting conduct. Any member of Team A may shoot the four free throws for the technical fouls. The results of these free throws will determine if the game is over or going into overtime. COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)

What if A2 was fouled while in the act?

Camron Rust Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 770840)
What if A2 was fouled while in the act?

Can a non-player commit a personal foul?

tref Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:37am

Exactly... I'm just thinking what if during the block, he knocks down the shooter as well?
But as you pointed out, a personal foul can only be committed by a legal "player".

Toren Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 770846)
Can a non-player commit a personal foul?

A personal foul can only be committed by a player. In this case, the substitute would not be able to commit a personal foul.
However, I think the contact by the substitute is important in determiningwhether the act is unsporting, for the block shot only, or a flagrant, for the illegal contact.

tref Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 770851)
However, I think the contact by the substitute is important in determiningwhether the act is unsporting, for the block shot only, or a flagrant, for the illegal contact.

I believe coming off the bench to participate in a EOG situation & affecting the opponents opportunity to tie the game, in it & of itself is unsporting.

If flagrant, it would have to be a flagrant personal (live ball) not technical. I dont see merely knocking down a shooter ever being a flagrant foul as it has nothing to do with violent or savage acts.

mbyron Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 770857)
If flagrant, it would have to be a flagrant personal (live ball) not technical.

No, bench personnel cannot commit personal fouls. Any foul committed by bench personnel would be technical. If the foul were flagrant, it would be a flagrant technical.

Camron Rust Wed Jul 06, 2011 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 770864)
No, bench personnel cannot commit personal fouls. Any foul committed by bench personnel would be technical. If the foul were flagrant, it would be a flagrant technical.

I would think that bench personnel coming onto the court and interfering with the play by making contact with a player would be flagrant in just about any case.

Camron Rust Wed Jul 06, 2011 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 770857)
I believe coming off the bench to participate in a EOG situation & affecting the opponents opportunity to tie the game, in it & of itself is unsporting.

If flagrant, it would have to be a flagrant personal (live ball) not technical. I dont see merely knocking down a shooter ever being a flagrant foul as it has nothing to do with violent or savage acts.

Yes, it is a live ball but it is not really a contact foul. Contact fouls are committed by players. ANYTHING a non-player does is a technical foul.

And, it doesn't have to be violent or savage when we're talking about T's...just a extreme or gross unsporting misbehavior.

bainsey Wed Jul 06, 2011 02:46pm

Quote:

A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding....
Would the penalty remain two technical fouls had the blocked shot been a two-point try?

APG Wed Jul 06, 2011 03:09pm

Personally I'm still T'ing for the entering, and flagrant T for interfering...regardless of if it's a two or three

Adam Wed Jul 06, 2011 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 770869)
Yes, it is a live ball but it is not really a contact foul. Contact fouls are committed by players. ANYTHING a non-player does is a technical foul.

And, it doesn't have to be violent or savage when we're talking about T's...just a extreme or gross unsporting misbehavior.

Hmmm. If a bench player enters the game during a live ball, isn't that player now a legal player? 3-3-3

OTOH, once you see that player enter, you've got a dead ball due to a technical foul, and thus any contact after that is dead ball contact and this entire half of the thread is moot.