The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I know the rule, even where to find it in the rule book but do not have a case book in front of me. Any help where I can get this online etc would help:
A1 has possession in front court. Passes to A2. B1 deflects, hits off of A2 into back court. A2 is first to pick up ball in back court. Over and Back, no change of possession.
NFHS 9 - 9 (pg 55)
Any help on the case book sit?
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

why no change in posesion--am i reading this wrong?
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 06:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
why no change in posesion--am i reading this wrong?
Nope,the touching by a B player doesn't constitute a change in possession.A1 still had team possession on the pass.They don't lose this team possession until B gains player(and thus team) possession,or A commits a violation of some type.Player control is defined as "holding or dribbling the ball".
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

9.9.2 SITUATION A: A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A' s frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A' s backcourt. A2 recovers in the backcourt.

Ruling: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

i read this wrong--i thought it ment that after the over and back there would be no change of possession
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
9.9.2 SITUATION A: A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A' s frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A' s backcourt. A2 recovers in the backcourt.

Ruling: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.
Thanks BB. I called a boys game Tuesday for the school my wife coaches the girls at. Plus it was the big in town rivalry game, PLUS the boys JV coach for the other team coaches THEIR girls (fall ball). Two minutes into the game I had this situation, calmly called the violation and moved on while the coach (Wife's school) erupted. He has been giving her grief about the call (other then THAT he said I did a great job) So I wanted to give her some hard copy proof. It is all in good fun, but I love it when I am right. Probably because I don't win many arguments at home!