The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

AAU is a whole different ball game. This is Homeschool basketball. None of these kids are playing for money or scholarships.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Not me. We *all* have to stick it out. Blowouts are part of the deal, call the game without bias until it's over.

I once worked a completely overmatched AAU game, losers didn't get to 30, winners were hell bent on getting to 100. I called the "and one" that got them there.

Good points...
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Anytime I've ever heard of a coach pulling his team off the floor or field, there have been repercussions for the coach. If you had ask the question prior to the game, I would have warned you that a suspension was a possibility.

The rules that I posted address reasons why an official could declare a game a forfeit. They don't really address a coach pulling his team off the floor.

There are expected and aceepted levels of sportmanship. The opposing coach broke some of those rules, but IMHO so did you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 01:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I was a sophomore in high school, we played a power house on their home court on Senior Night. Coach, before the game, suggested we might walk off if they lived up to their reputation of running up the score. Sure enough. Beginning of the 4th Q, their starters are in when they're up by about 60.
Coach decides to pull the plug, but he had the support of most of the players (what would we honestly have said?) He took a 1 game suspension, as well as a lot of grief from their fans when they came to our court.

snaqs
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry to hear about this loss. The opposing coach was really being a jerk, it seems.

There are no Fed rules for suspending you in this situation. However, your state probably has some rules against it. I know that taking your players off the court is a Big No-No in Kentucky. A coach did that in a friend's game last year and he was suspended and the school was fined for it. It was not pretty.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just me, but I think grcoach had the best interest of his kids in mind. I have worked plenty of games where I wished the team getting slaughtered had the "courage" to call it off.
When you can see in the kid's faces that they don't want to be out there anymore, the game needs to end.
Teaching perserverance, working through adversity, etc.,etc., are fine. But a Coach who has compassion for his kids, is OK in my book.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I realize this isn't a coaching site, and, I don't expect officials to take one side or the other, but, as a parent and coach, it galls me to see a team pour it on. What about the kids who bust their rears in practice, who continue to sit on the bench while the starters remain in the game way past the time needed? If you're going to leave a starter in, give him an opportunity to play a position he normally doesn't play (e.g., a forward play pg). How will the team fare down the road, when foul trouble or fatigue necessitate the use of a bench that has little or no game experience.?

Further, if you're a rec coach, at any youth level, you're inviting the wrath of parents who devote a lot of time and money to get junior to practice and games, if he sits on the bench on either side of a 40 point blow-out.

But, I agree with most of the others. You don't quit. In games like those, you look at each possession as a game, each with its own victory or defeat. You stop worrying about the score.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry about the length.

- Catherine Aird
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Maybe it's just me, but I think grcoach had the best interest of his kids in mind. I have worked plenty of games where I wished the team getting slaughtered had the "courage" to call it off.
When you can see in the kid's faces that they don't want to be out there anymore, the game needs to end.
Teaching perserverance, working through adversity, etc.,etc., are fine. But a Coach who has compassion for his kids, is OK in my book.
I'm with Drake. grcoach, I'm not sure I'd have done what you did, but I don't have a problem with it. I would think your league board would want to know about the opponents sportsmanship. Do they do this to all their opponents, or is it just personal? At JV level, I'd be reluctant as a ref to say anything to the coach, but I don't see why you couldn't say at least "Great press, coach, when does it stop?" in a mild or dry tone of voice.

On the other hand, 37 points isn't all that horrible of a blow-out in a lot of situations. I think of several schools around here who would have a party with confetti and a cake if they lost by "only" 37 to certain opponents. Still, at least one of those winning schools, has very good sportsmanship, and never presses when up by more than 20 and they ALWAYS pull their starters in the second half to go warm up with the varsity team. That's why I'm wondering if your "problem" opponents were sticking it to you for some specific reason.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Saw a similar sitch last night in a boys varsity. Team up by 40 with 6:00 minutes to go in game. Full court press all starters still in. At that point losing coach told his player to in bound ball by throwing it to leading team for an easy lay up. After the second time the official stopped the game and was talking to the player throwing it in. I am not sure what the official was saying. I am assuming he was trying to talk the player out of it. The coach was screaming give him the ball. The official did and the coach yelled for the player to throw to the opposing team. At that point the leading coach called time out. Substituted three players but still full court pressed. Play resumed as normal but crowd was screaming to call off the press which he did after 3 or 4 more times up and down the court. How would you have handled this? This would seem to be heading for a travesty if they continued to throw the ball to the other team. How long would you have let this go on? Woudl you speak to only losing coach or both?
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Our CYO league has an explicit rule stating that any coach who pulls his team will be suspened for at least one game, possibly the season, and potentially permanetly. I believe the rule was put in to control hot headed coaches who let their tempers override their reason. Our league also has a "mercy" rule that forbids pressing when the team is ahead by more that 18 points, and forbid defense outside the 3 point circle when ahead by more than 25. The rule is frequently invoked because there is a wide range of talent between the teams in our league, and it does help avoid some of the bitterness that can come up. Losing coaches can still get pretty upset when (in their opinions) they don't see the refs enforcing this rule down to the level of contesting loose balls. My sympathies lie with the losing coaches, but I have never seen the winning coaches not direct their players to fall back. I'm sure it's hard for kids who have been taught to play agressively and press all the time to lay off.

In your situation, I may well have done what you did, even knowing that I might get a suspension. Your opponent was being a total jerk, and sticking around might have led to emotional confrontations that would have served not purpose. In my mind, coaches who lay it on like that are themselves causing a travesty.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

There have been many games where I as an official wanted to quit. But I sucked it up and finished the game. That said, if a team is pouring it on pressing another team in the fourth quarter with its starters, I am definitely calling every little touch foul I see. They brush a jersey its a foul. I love the line I use in this situation, "Coach, I can't tell you how to coach, but I can tell you how I'm going to officiate if you don't pull the press or your starters!" In my mind the starters aren't learning anything in this situation. If he chooses to press with the backups that is another story. That may be his style and I don't have a problem with that.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Incidentally, if I'm reffing that game, and one team's full-court pressing with a 40pt lead in the 4th, I'm calling every touch foul in sight until they back off.
Amen, brother. (Even though people can argue against this position.)
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

"one hundred...one hundred"

Had this happen to me a few years back. Homecoming game where home team is slaughtering visitors.

2 minutes left, scrubs in, home team scores to make it 98-40 something.

Visiting coach calls TO. Crowd going crazy chanting for 100.
After TO, visitors ready to inbound under endline, no press. Crowd continues chant.

V1 inbounds to V2 who calmly shoots the ball into home teams basket...crowd falls silent..100 goes on the board...visiting bench erupts with laughter at the shocked crowd...stole their thunder!

I got a kick out of that.

Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Pizanno

Now that....is funny!
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

For all of you that say don't quit, keep the kids on the floor. Personally I feel that there are times when nothing can be gained from keeping the kids on the floor and letting them get thorougly humiliated by another team.

Example a couple of years ago, I am watching a girl's JV game. Final score of the game was 102 - 10. The winning teams coach was pissed because his girls didn't win by one hundred. This team was playing juniors and sophmores against a team of freshman and some 8th graders. They full court pressed the entire first half. I think the losing team only got the ball passed half court 3 times all half. Score at half was 53-3. Second half starts and it is the same five starters, still pressing full court. I guess the visiting coach started to feel sorry for them because in the 4th he pulled the press and went with a 1-3-1 half court trap.

Just judging by the way the girls responded after been humiliated like that, two of them quit playing and the rest have absolutely no cinfidence in themselves anymore, I think the coach could have done more good than harm by pulling the girls off the court.