Thread: Forfeit
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Maybe it's just me, but I think grcoach had the best interest of his kids in mind. I have worked plenty of games where I wished the team getting slaughtered had the "courage" to call it off.
When you can see in the kid's faces that they don't want to be out there anymore, the game needs to end.
Teaching perserverance, working through adversity, etc.,etc., are fine. But a Coach who has compassion for his kids, is OK in my book.
I'm with Drake. grcoach, I'm not sure I'd have done what you did, but I don't have a problem with it. I would think your league board would want to know about the opponents sportsmanship. Do they do this to all their opponents, or is it just personal? At JV level, I'd be reluctant as a ref to say anything to the coach, but I don't see why you couldn't say at least "Great press, coach, when does it stop?" in a mild or dry tone of voice.

On the other hand, 37 points isn't all that horrible of a blow-out in a lot of situations. I think of several schools around here who would have a party with confetti and a cake if they lost by "only" 37 to certain opponents. Still, at least one of those winning schools, has very good sportsmanship, and never presses when up by more than 20 and they ALWAYS pull their starters in the second half to go warm up with the varsity team. That's why I'm wondering if your "problem" opponents were sticking it to you for some specific reason.