View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Did you ever just have one of those nights? Last game scheduled with my chapter, I have some rec. ball remaining but not high quality stuff.

Feel like I have been hit by a truck and probably running fever. I’m thinking a good sweat will help. Partner and I walk into the gym and give a blast on the whistle to let them know we are on the floor. Standing there during warmups and H31 goes skying, hands well above the rim and forceably pushes the ball through the net without touching the rim, net or backboard. While I’m contemplating if I want to consider that a dunk, H15 yells “You idiot” and gives his teammate a slap up side of the head and home coach yells “Fool, didn’t you hear the whistle?” OK guys, you just told everyone on the other team we had a dunk…guess we are starting with a T. That puts all the fans in a good mood.

First OOB call that is mine (about 2 minutes into the game) is clearly off green. I point in the direction of white and yell “Green”. Some player makes a smart remark about being color blind but it was obviously in jest. Three trips later, ball goes OOB off white and guess what…I signal in the direction of green and yell “White”. Player starts laughing and says “One of those nights, huh?” I just say, “Yep, kinda like missing that layup.”

Right after the start of the second quarter H15 clearly commits a travel violation when he starts his move to the hoop. I blow my whistle and put my hand up thinking I gonna sell this and gain some redemption. I give the travel signal and say “No shot, double dribble!”

After contemplating the option of faking a fainting spell and getting the heck out of Dodge, I decide not to say another word until half-time. Second half is uneventful. After the game, home coach came up to me and said “You did a good job for someone who is green, and I’m not talking about your experience level.”

Could not wait to get out of there. Just wish I had another decent game on the schedule to end on a positive note.