The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

The following situation was relayed to me by another official:

Just over 1:00 minute left in 15-point game. Team A (losing) has a player DQ for 5 fouls. Official informs coach & player then asks for 30-seconds on clock. Coach A asks official if he can finish game with 4 players. Team A has 7 players on bench that can come into game. Assistant Coach A asks head coach, "What the &%#$ are you doing?"

What does rule book say about this? Also, what do you do as official?

The official was not sure if the coach was doing this to be a smart-*** toward him or if he was mad at his team. The official just said, "OK" and they finished the game with 4 players.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Team A MUST play with 5 players as long as there are substitutes available on the bench. Play can continue with less than 5 if no subs are available.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

OK. That is the rule book answer.

What are you going to do as part of game management?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hoosiers

Sounds like the movie 'Hoosiers' when Gene Hackman told the ref, "My team is on the floor!" and he finished with 4. I believe that since the rulebook specifically addresses this, you're obliged to tell the coach the options: play five or end it. Let him make the choice. What level was this game?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
In NFHS I believe that the phrase "making a travesty of the game" is the appropriate section. When the referee believes that a team and/or coach is making a travesty of the game, he may end the contest as a forfeit.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rocketpast

Uhmmmmm...make them play with 5? (Is this a trick question?)
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Depending on how I feel:

A) "We need five on the floor, but there's no rule that they all must participate in offense and defensive plays."

B) "If you have five eligible, you must play 5. I could make the others ineligible."

C) "You don't want to play with 5? Fine, the game's over."

(Hint: Always use the first half of option A, add the second half if you're in a good mood. Never use options B or C).

Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

This was a Large School Varsity game - suburban school (playing w/four) versus inner city school. The coach who wanted to play with four is in his first year of coaching. Oh, and they were playing at home.

The official that had this presented to him chose to just finish the game and not make an issue out of it. The assistant coach was very adamant about not wanting the coach to go through with the idea. I have not heard any rumblings from the school. If I was a parent of a player, I'd be very upset with the coaches antics. The AD at this school used to be the head basketball coach. Will be interesting to see if he is suspended or terminated for his actions. I believe it is a slap in the face to every player on the bench and to the game of basketball.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
If I was a parent of a player, I'd be very upset with the coaches antics. The AD at this school used to be the head basketball coach. Will be interesting to see if he is suspended or terminated for his actions. I believe it is a slap in the face to every player on the bench and to the game of basketball.
Now how can you say that? Do you know if those other players were being disciplined for something they had done or failed to do? Maybe they were caught drinking the night before...maybe they skipped a practice...don't rush to conclusions here...

As far as the situation, the coach better be able to tell me why those bench players can't play, or else they are subbing one of them in...the rules are pretty clear on that...
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I should have given more info before stating my opinion.

Some of those players did participate in the game previously. The official told me he was not sure if the coach was pissed at him or at the way his players were playing. The assistant coach was clearly distraught over the head coach's decision and voiced his displeasure.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

2 choices.

1- If he doesn't present a sub within 30 seconds, he's got a T. If he still refuses to sub, he's got another T and he's gone. Now, the asst. coach who seems to have a better head on his shoulders will send in a sub, I'm sure.

2- "Coach, you have to play with 5. Please send me a sub."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith