Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
[/B]
You ENJOYED logic class AND you are a BoSox fan??? Isn't that an oxymoron??? [/B][/QUOTE]
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
You ENJOYED logic class AND you are a BoSox fan??? Isn't that an oxymoron???
First of all, I went to college about 20 miles outside of Boston.

Second of all: cram it, clown!

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
The only way I could see making this call is 2 or 3 players go flying into a shooter and really plant him into the wall or something vicious like this.
Team down by 3 points as time is running out. A1 goes up for 3-point shot and is fouled by B1 and B2 and then horn goes off. Both whack him at same time. I see it. Partner sees it. Coaches see it.

Rule book says 2 shots for each foul in this situation. But at that moment I did not know it (I do now, though).

I call only one foul and award 3 shots. He misses first one. Game over.

In hindsight (and now that I know the rule), I wish I had called the multiple foul. I have yet to find another ref who agrees with me. They all say: "Call only one foul." I say, if the rule is so bad, then remove it from the book. Otherwise, have the guts to make the right call.

[Edited by BayStateRef on Feb 6th, 2003 at 01:09 PM]
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bay State
You need to learn the difference between what the book explicitly says and how the rulebook is intended to be enforced. You may believe you would have been right to call a multiple foul. I would only tell you that I have seen this play many times, probably once every 10 games, where a shooter is fouled by more than one player. Never, and I should say NEVER, have I seen a multiple foul called.

Just so you have some context, I have coached about 300 games in the past three years, so I do have a pretty good-sized sample from which I am judging. Watched at least that many in the same time frame, HS, college, and pro. still no multiple fouls. That alone should send you a very strong message. Your fellow experienced refs have also sent that message. Please hear it and heed it.

Determining independently that the rest of the officiating world is wrong and you are right will only lead to very ugly outcomes. Officiating is not the place to make your mark by calling a unique type of game. All participants expect certain levels of consistentcy, especially with regard to a call of this magnitude in a closely contested game.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Bay State
I would only tell you that I have seen this play many times, probably once every 10 games, where a shooter is fouled by more than one player. Never, and I should say NEVER, have I seen a multiple foul called.
You have seen a multiple foul on a 3-point shot at the buzzer once every 10 games? Wow.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen multiple fouls, and will see many more, multiple fouls as strictly defined by book. These include the late double team that results in 1 blocking, pushing, or holding call (but could be two by rule), and no FTs (but would be two by rule). Is a team getting shafted because of this no-call? It seems to me that you think they are. I think that this is the way the game is consistently called.

I have seen two players make contact with a 3 point shooter, but not nearly as frequently - maybe two or three times in this entire period. Still no multiple fouls.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

Let me make it more clear (I guess some, such as BayStateRef might have been confused by my earlier posts):

Multiple Foul Call = END OF ADVANCEMENT IN OFFICIATING.

Seriously, don't call the letter of the rule. Take time to understand "The Game" and work within that function.

BayStateRef, you scare me man, you scare me.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Feb 6th, 2003 at 06:08 PM]