Thread: Multiple fouls
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bay State
You need to learn the difference between what the book explicitly says and how the rulebook is intended to be enforced. You may believe you would have been right to call a multiple foul. I would only tell you that I have seen this play many times, probably once every 10 games, where a shooter is fouled by more than one player. Never, and I should say NEVER, have I seen a multiple foul called.

Just so you have some context, I have coached about 300 games in the past three years, so I do have a pretty good-sized sample from which I am judging. Watched at least that many in the same time frame, HS, college, and pro. still no multiple fouls. That alone should send you a very strong message. Your fellow experienced refs have also sent that message. Please hear it and heed it.

Determining independently that the rest of the officiating world is wrong and you are right will only lead to very ugly outcomes. Officiating is not the place to make your mark by calling a unique type of game. All participants expect certain levels of consistentcy, especially with regard to a call of this magnitude in a closely contested game.