View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
There is a casebook play exactly like this. I had to enact it once a couple of years ago in a JV game. The clock did not start, and I was lead. I waited until the ball crossed half court, then asked my partner what he had for a count. He said, "8," so I instructed the timekeeper to take 8 seconds off the clock. I know this is allowed by rule with a count in the backcourt. Like I said, it's in the casebook somewhere.
Casebook play 5.10.2 oughta do it.
Here's the text of the casebook play:

5.10.2 SITUATION: Following a violation in the fourth quarter, there are five seconds on the clock as A1 is bounced the ball for a throw-in. The throw-in is completed to A2. The official properly signals the clock to start and immediately begins a closely-guarded count on A2. The official reaches a count of three seconds when B1 fouls A2. The official stops play properly and reports the foul at the table. The timer reports that he/she did not start the clock when the throw-in was touched by A2. The clock still shows five seconds. Ruling: The referee will order the clock set at two seconds. The referee has definite knowledge of the amount of time involved in this situation by using the closely-guarded count.