The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: Subvaristy JV game this past weekend where the teams were playing each other for the second time. The home team did not have anyone to do the book and grabbed someone from the stands. I thought we were lucky that the coach had previously copied over the visiting teams line ups from the last time the two teams had played and that we were able to start on time. I skimmed the home book for illegal numbers and confirmed the correct number of players for both teams. I never looked at the visting book and the youngster keeping it, minded his own business.

1/2 way through the first half I call a foul on the visiting team, player #25, and there is no player #25 in the home book. Apparently the visiting team had changed some of its players numbers from the last time they played back in December. The visitng team book had the correct player numbers.

So if the home book always the official book then I would have to assess a TECH to the visiting team for having a player number in the game who is not in the home book? Is it the duty of the visiting team book keeper to ensure the information in the home book is correct? Or is the home team at fault for copying and not having a score keeper ready?

thanks again
GTW

Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

don't find "blame"

just add #25 to the book and resume play.

It IS the responsibility of the visiting team to ensure their info is correct. I've had partners who ask the coach or asst to initial the books as part of the pre-game (not realistic at lower levels).

If the home coach has a problem with it, tell him that because his book wasn't ready, you deemed the visitors book to be the "official" one. I think he'd get the message.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: don't find

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
It IS the responsibility of the visiting team to ensure their info is correct.
No, it's not.

It's the responsibility of the visiting team to be sure teh correct info is given (made available? I forget the exact wording) to the scorer by the 10 minute mark.

I'd probably deem that the visitors book was at the table on time, and if the home team got the incorrect information from somewhere else that it wasn't the visitor's problem.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Bob beat me to it by just a couple minutes! I agree completely with him.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: don't find

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
It IS the responsibility of the visiting team to ensure their info is correct.
No, it's not.

It's the responsibility of the visiting team to be sure teh correct info is given (made available? I forget the exact wording) to the scorer by the 10 minute mark.

Yeah, but what if the home book says they "didn't get it"? I've been "he said, she said" situations before.

What I meant by "responsibility" was that if I'm the visiting coach, I'm making sure we don't get penalized for someone else's mistake (book, then maybe an official).
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

copied it over

in this case the home coach stated I already had the visitors numbers from the last game, and it was the visiting team's responsibility to tell him if the numbers at changed or to at least double check home the book.
The visiting coach claimed he "gave" the info on time and the home team never bothered to look at his book (b/c there was no one there to do this). So no one was disputing the others story, they were disputing Which team has the burden to make sure the official book is correct?

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

If a team is grabbing someone from the stands at the last minute, the burden is on that team to have their book done properly. You can't report starters to the official scorer at ten minutes if there is no official starter.