The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Good game management? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/73037-good-game-management.html)

theboys Tue Jun 21, 2011 02:06pm

Good game management?

Was watching a 12u AAU game. A1 drives in for a lay-up attempt. B1 and B2 attempt to block the shot. Ref blows the whistle, preparing to call a foul on B2. B1 doesn't realize the foul is on his teammate, thinks its going to be on him, so throws his arms out, palms up, like "are you serious". B1 sort of stomps away - not hugely dramatic, but obvious. As the official reports the foul he looks at B's coach, holds out his hand with his index finger and thumb almost touching, like "he's this close, coach", and tells the coach to take B1 out. Coach complies.

Good game management?

Raymond Tue Jun 21, 2011 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboys (Post 767504)
Was watching a 12u AAU game. A1 drives in for a lay-up attempt. B1 and B2 attempt to block the shot. Ref blows the whistle, preparing to call a foul on B2. B1 doesn't realize the foul is on his teammate, thinks its going to be on him, so throws his arms out, palms up, like "are you serious". B1 sort of stomps away - not hugely dramatic, but obvious. As the official reports the foul he looks at B's coach, holds out his hand with his index finger and thumb almost touching, like "he's this close, coach", and tells the coach to take B1 out. Coach complies.

Good game management?

So he said "he's this close, coach" and he told the coach to take him out? That's a whole lot of conversation.

Telling a coach to take someone out of a game has been discussed in a recent thread.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 21, 2011 02:40pm

Tee him up, or don't. There is no try.

Adam Tue Jun 21, 2011 02:46pm

Personally, I'd give the T; but I've got no issue with some preventive officiating here. I don't ask the coach to pull the player, however. I'll usually just say something along the lines of, "Coach, you might want to have a word with #23."

bainsey Tue Jun 21, 2011 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 767516)
Personally, I'd give the T; but I've got no issue with some preventive officiating here. I don't ask the coach to pull the player, however. I'll usually just say something along the lines of, "Coach, you might want to have a word with #23."

+1

Whether I'd call the T is an HTBT, but I find nothing wrong with the OP's approach.

tref Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 767518)
Whether I'd call the T is an HTBT, but I find nothing wrong with the OP's approach.

That approach was ok if the rules say that an official may sit a player...

But what works well for me in that situation (multiple defenders in the vicinity on a foul call) *Tweet* "34 thats yours." It helps eliminate 23 thinking its on him.

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

I'll usually just say something along the lines of, "Coach, you might want to have a word with #23."

So how did Phil Jackson reply when you told him to have a word with Michael Jordan? :confused:

Camron Rust Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 767520)
That approach was ok if the rules say that an official may sit a player...

But what works well for me in that situation (multiple defenders in the vicinity on a foul call) *Tweet* "34 thats yours." It helps eliminate 23 thinking its on him.

For that matter, proper mechanics essentially require you do do so.....not in those words but effectively the same result. If there is any question about who may have committed the foul, I very quickly (more so than normal) identify the fouler to avoid exactly that sort of response.

Often, I'll even tell the non-fouling player that they made a clean play (had great position or whatever) if I sense any sort of reaction coming.....kill the response before they do something I have to penalize.
  • "Hey blue 44, you had great position....it would have been a charge if your teammate hadn't shoved him in the back."
  • "Hey red 13, you were straight up, but 24 smacked him on his face".

I find that such things help keep those players from turning into problems.

jdmara Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 767530)
For that matter, proper mechanics essentially require you do do so.....not in those words but effectively the same result. If there is any question about who may have committed the foul, I very quickly (more so than normal) identify the fouler to avoid exactly that sort of response.

Often, I'll even tell the non-fouling player that they made a clean play (had great position or whatever) if I sense any sort of reaction coming.....kill the response before they do something I have to penalize.
  • "Hey blue 44, you had great position....it would have been a charge if your teammate hadn't shoved him in the back."

Good advice!

-Josh

Camron Rust Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:29pm

Quote:

I do the same....."Coach, #23 is very close to trouble. Can you help us with him".

Most will deal with it and are very appreciative of the opportunity to reel them in before we penalize. I've even had a few that voluntarily benched the player when I've brought certain actions to their attention....problem solved.

tref Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:34pm

Quote:

Absolutely +1

ontheway Tue Jun 21, 2011 05:45pm

Quote:

A+ advice right here also use bird dog mechanic on fouls if possible

APG Tue Jun 21, 2011 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 767585)
A+ advice right here also use bird dog mechanic on fouls if possible

Can't say you'll ever find me bird dogging...if the situation happened like in the OP, I'd just verbalize who the foul was on to prevent the potential problem with the other player.

tref Tue Jun 21, 2011 06:16pm

Not the bird dog... let's not bring that back :D

Adam Tue Jun 21, 2011 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 767585)
A+ advice right here also use bird dog mechanic on fouls if <strike>possible</strike> necessary

Fixed it for you. ;)

It's never necessary. As APG noted, just verbalize it.