The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:01am
In Memoriam

That's what I thought,Chuck.I looked for that on the replay,and I thought that the ball was out of the shooter's hands before the contact.I also thought that the bonus was in effect,too.Anybody else notice this?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I guess.

So why would an official be scared of the consequences of making the "home school" upset.

At every level, there are officials who are less inclined to make calls against the home team, regardless of who evaluates and hires them. Just remember the difference between Earl Strom and other NBA officials. The same is true in the Big Ten and leagues throughout the country. Not every official has the clockweights necessary to make the tough call.

Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Re: I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
So why would an official be scared of the consequences of making the "home school" upset.

At every level, there are officials who are less inclined to make calls against the home team, regardless of who evaluates and hires them. Just remember the difference between Earl Strom and other NBA officials. The same is true in the Big Ten and leagues throughout the country. Not every official has the clockweights necessary to make the tough call.

I don't know. It gets my adrenaline pumping when the crowd starts heckling me if I know I made the right call. Gives me a superiority complex, I suppose.

snaqs
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

As a D1 official for many, many years and an evaluator for three I have never seen a D1 "Homer".

Must be regional . . . (ooops, tha'ts wrong since I watch parts of about 20 college games a week on the dish and I have yet to see an example of officals being "homers" or worrying about what arena they are in).

Maybe we could have Zack write a column about "biasd" officials for his college paper?

Kidding, just kidding!

And Earl Strom defined the "Magic Word" for ejections too.

Stan, you're strugglin' here.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
As a D1 official for many, many years and an evaluator for three I have never seen a D1 "Homer".
I think that's because there's a simple and subtle dynamic at work. Any head coach that think he's getting a "break" from somebody at home is gonna be awful leary of the exact same official when he gets him out of town.Any official like that just wouldn't last.If they just question our judgement,we're usually OK. If they start questioning other things,we're gone!

There has been a lot of talk over the years,though,about officials favoring their own conference when other teams came into town for non-league games.The PAC-10(for one) had a bad reputation for this at one time.Personally,I always put this down as basic differences in officiating philosophies.Leagues like the BIG 10 had the reputation of allowing more physical play,for instance.It's the old story.It's up to the teams to adjust to the officials that they got.It's up to the officials to be consistent,so that the teams can adjust. JMHO.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

I'm not talking about conscious favoritism. But some officials just don't have it in them to make a tough call down the home stretch in front of a hostile crowd.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
But some officials just don't have it in them to make a tough call down the home stretch in front of a hostile crowd.
Stan, I have no doubt that's true. I just wonder how many of those officials make it to the Big 10.

Chuck