The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Here is the situtation. It is a home game for Team A. A fan from Team B (who is wearing a Team B jersey and yelling at the refs the whole game against Team A) throws something on to the court, and he did get removed.

The referee calls a technichal foul on Team A, because its policy that anything thrown on the court is a technichal on the home team.

Is this fair?
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonecor
Here is the situtation. It is a home game for Team A. A fan from Team B (who is wearing a Team B jersey and yelling at the refs the whole game against Team A) throws something on to the court, and he did get removed.

The referee calls a technichal foul on Team A, because its policy that anything thrown on the court is a technichal on the home team.

Is this fair?
Unless there is a specific policy in your area, the Tech should have been assessed to Team B.
Rule 2-8 ART 1. The Officials' additional duties include penalizing unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant or follower.

Would I have assessed a Tech?

Nope.
I would have asked Game Management to remove the fan.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I think the official blew this one! The pertinant rule in this situation is 2-8:
Officials shall:
ART. 1....Penalize unsportsmanlike conduct by any player, coach, substitut, team attendant or FOLLOWER.
NOTE: The home management or game committee is responsible for spectator behavior, insofar as it can reasonably be expected to control the spectators. The officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game. Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team be unjustly penalized.

I hope this clears up your situation. The officials, with knowledge of who threw the object could call a technical foul on either team. I would be very reluctant to do so because you are penalizing the team for a bone-head fan. If they were part of the team, bench personnel, coaches, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to issue a T. If numerous fans threw objects on the court it would be an immediate T, as well.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
You must type faster than I do! I thought if I quoted the rule, it would be clearer for Sonecor.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:

Is this fair?
Who's policy is it? If is a policy of your organization, then it doesn't matter if it is "fair", it si the rule. However, I would have tossed the fan.

My two sense!
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

The policy is, if anything is thrown onto the court it results in a T on the home team.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 09:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The policy is, if anything is thrown onto the court it results in a T on the home team.
That's not the brightest policy in the world,is it? Anytime that the visiting team wants a coupla free throws,they can just signal a supporter to throw something on the court.Oh my!
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

What type of "league" is this?

I am curious as too what type of basketball Soncor is referencing... Is it rec league, high school, middle school, ????

Here is "food for thought":
Let's say this is "Policy" for the league...
(Hypothetical situation)

Home (h) has a 1pt lead with only seconds left in the game. The official makes a call for (insert violation of your choice), which gives the ball to visitors (V). The stands are packed and, lo and behold, an object is tossed onto the court from the hometeam section, unfortunately no one knows who tossed the object. The "policy" dictates that a "T" is mandatory.

Could it have been a follower of V that tossed the object?

Do you see my dislike for this policy?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

This is college basketball that I'm talking about. I don't know what they would do if a visiting team fan threw something on the court, because they never did.

Most of the time people throw things in big groups, like one time they threw toilet paper and they knew it had to be home fans because of where they are seated.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
This is college basketball that I'm talking about. I don't know what they would do if a visiting team fan threw something on the court, because they never did.
Okay, now I'm confused. You said in your original post that Team B was the visiting team and it was a Team B fan that threw something onto the court. What gives?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Okay, now I'm confused. You said in your original post that Team B was the visiting team and it was a Team B fan that threw something onto the court. What gives?
Do you mean they never did before this time?

My two sense!