The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

fellow officias:

last night we did a h.s game in iowa. usually the philosophy that my partner and i take into the start of the game is "make sure the 1st one is a good one." the difference of the 2 teams were speed and size. team A is alot quicker and more physical than team B. team B's coach is complaining that his kids are getting pushed around underneath, this is in the first 4 minutes of the game. the rest of the 1st quarter goes smooth. no bickering or anything. in the 2nd quarter my partner has a foul on team B. as he is reporting the foul, team B's coach wants a timeout. i see that the coach and my partner are talking about a few things. after they seperate, my partner comes over to me and says "if you here him whining you get him." i say well whats the deal? my partner says "he is still hung up on a couple of things that occured in the 1st quarter and he cant seem to get them out of his head." i say ok. about 2 minutes later i hear -"they are riding us all the way through the lane" i hear it numerous times. what would you do in this situation. would you stand up and buzz the coach in respect of you partner or would you communicate with the coach and tell him that we are working as hard as possible to get in position. kind of an interesting scenario. i ended up standing up for my partner for the fact that the coach seemed to want a T during the timeout and didnt get one. any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated.

thanks alot

mighty
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

i wouldnt bang him because if you bang him, he aint gonna konw what the heck you banged him for. itll look cheap.i think if your ever in doubt, just ignore it. you cant go wrong, because then your not adding anymore fuel to the fire. But i think a good way to handle it is ignore it, and if during a dead ball he asks you, tell him something like, coach, " i didnt have anything." but i wouldnt tell him you were trying to get the best position, and im sure you were though anyway. because he might make a stupid comment like, "you might as well turn around and blindfold yourself, and then youll be in better position, or my dead grandma gets better position." then youve now got a potential problem. see?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 09:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyvol
... . would you stand up and buzz the coach in respect of you partner or would you communicate with the coach and tell him that we are working as hard as possible to get in position.

If you had to guess the Technical, then you guessed incorrectly.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by mightyvol
fellow officias:

last night we did a h.s game in iowa. usually the philosophy that my partner and i take into the start of the game is "make sure the 1st one is a good one." the difference of the 2 teams were speed and size. team A is alot quicker and more physical than team B. team B's coach is complaining that his kids are getting pushed around underneath, this is in the first 4 minutes of the game. the rest of the 1st quarter goes smooth. no bickering or anything. in the 2nd quarter my partner has a foul on team B. as he is reporting the foul, team B's coach wants a timeout. i see that the coach and my partner are talking about a few things. after they seperate, my partner comes over to me and says "if you here him whining you get him." i say well whats the deal? my partner says "he is still hung up on a couple of things that occured in the 1st quarter and he cant seem to get them out of his head." i say ok. about 2 minutes later i hear -"they are riding us all the way through the lane" i hear it numerous times. what would you do in this situation. would you stand up and buzz the coach in respect of you partner or would you communicate with the coach and tell him that we are working as hard as possible to get in position. kind of an interesting scenario. i ended up standing up for my partner for the fact that the coach seemed to want a T during the timeout and didnt get one. any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated.

thanks alot

mighty
To me, this seems like an impossible question to answer since we weren't there to see what the coach was doing and what you guys did to help difuse the situation.

If my partner warns him and the next time the coach does anything...whack! However it depends what has been happening in the game.

If this was the first thing that he said to me and I felt that I could talk to him, I would. I assume that he has been on both of you all game, and if that was the situation I would have given him a T.

My two sense!