The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Look at this another way

This decision should not be based on the fact that A1 is a star and A2 is not (if you even know). If you know that A1 has 4 fouls and A2 has 1 foul, and you see something where you could call either way, go ahead and call A2. I am not saying protect A1, but rather, if you aren't positive, don't take A1 out on a maybe foul call.

If you know it was A1, I think they gotta go. It may seem fair to A to protect A1, but B is an equal partner in this and probably wants A1 off the floor. If B drew the 5th foul, they deserve the reward.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If there is no clear cut initial foul,then you don't have any foul.You should never make any call that you're not sure of.You do call the first CLEAR CUT INITIAL FOUL that you see.You don't worry about who's actually committing that FIRST clear cut foul.If the star player happens to be the one that commits that FIRST clear cut foul,so be it.That's all I'm telling you,Fletch.
>If there is no clear cut initial foul,then you don't have any foul.< Then would you not have a Multiple Foul as in 4.19.10?

No question on the rest of the statement.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 05:01pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
If there is no clear cut initial foul,then you don't have any foul.You should never make any call that you're not sure of.You do call the first CLEAR CUT INITIAL FOUL that you see.You don't worry about who's actually committing that FIRST clear cut foul.If the star player happens to be the one that commits that FIRST clear cut foul,so be it.That's all I'm telling you,Fletch.
>If there is no clear cut initial foul,then you don't have any foul.< Then would you not have a Multiple Foul as in 4.19.10?

No question on the rest of the statement.
If both players commit a clear-cut foul at exactly the same time,you can call a multiple foul,by rule. I'm going by Fletch's original statement,which was that the star player fouled FIRST,but he's gonna call the foul on the player that fouled after him.If you do have two players clearly foul someone at the same time,you could pick one of them instead of calling the multiple.That's your choice and I don't have a problem with that.I do have a problem with anyone ignoring the first foul that actually is a foul,just because it's committed by a star player.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I'm going by Fletch's original statement,which was that the star player fouled FIRST,but he's gonna call the foul on the player that fouled after him.If you do have two players clearly foul someone at the same time,you could pick one of them instead of calling the multiple.

I think we are on the same page for the most part. We both agree if the star player clearly committs the initial foul you have to call it, I may not have made that clear. The only place we MAY differ is in the "no clear cut foul" scenario. I would like to see how many people have actually called a multiple foul in the scenario's I put forth. I agree with picking one of them, so we are in agreement there. I would NEVER let a star player committ a clear cut foul, or violation and NOT call it.