The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 10:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

I was just reviewing the Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list for 2011-12 changes, and came up with a question. Here are the rule references:

2010-11 NFHS 3-5-3: Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.

2011-12 NFHS Rule Changes: The specifications regarding arm compression sleeves were changed to require the item to be white, black, beige or a single solid school color, be the same color for each team member.

My question: According to my reading of the rules, all team members on Team A can legally wear white headbands, black wristbands, and red (school color) compression sleeves. Is this a correct interpretation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was just reviewing the Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list for 2011-12 changes, and came up with a question. Here are the rule references:

2010-11 NFHS 3-5-3: Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.

2011-12 NFHS Rule Changes: The specifications regarding arm compression sleeves were changed to require the item to be white, black, beige or a single solid school color, be the same color for each team member.

My question: According to my reading of the rules, all team members on Team A can legally wear white headbands, black wristbands, and red (school color) compression sleeves. Is this a correct interpretation?
Still no.

The headbands and wristbands must match (at least under prior year's rules). It's still unlcear whether the compression sleeves must match those, and we won't know until the casebooks / interps come out.
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's The Wording ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The headbands and wristbands must match.
That's what I always assumed and how I always interpreted the rule, but I'm now having problems with the actual wording of the rule. "Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item."

I'm sure that I'm reading too much into this, but, to me, it reads that each item refers to either headbands or wristbands, i.e. headbands shall be the same color for each, and wristbands shall be the same color for each.

Is there a caseplay that states that both items must be the same color and will therefore put my question to rest?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Found It ...

Quote:
Is there a caseplay that states that both items must be the same color and will therefore put my question to rest?
NFHS 2010-11 Comments On The Rules (Page 3, 2010-11 NFHS Basketball Casebook)

3.5.3 SITUATION: Team A’s school colors are blue and gold and the predominate
color of Team A’s jerseys are white. Prior to the game, an official notices that
several Team A members are wearing (a) blue headbands and blue wristbands;
and (b) beige pre-wrap around the entire head and blue wristbands. RULING:
Legal in (a). Illegal equipment in (b); the headband color does not match the
wristband color.
The official shall inform the player and the head coach that these
items are illegal and may not be worn during the game.

Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No. Because this OBVIOUSLY provides Team A with a competitive advantage. C'mon, you have been around long enough to know THAT!
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 06:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The headbands and wristbands must match (at least under prior year's rules). It's still unlcear whether the compression sleeves must match those, and we won't know until the casebooks / interps come out.
I'm a thinkin they'll make the sleeves match too, as isn't that the intent?
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 10:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'm a thinkin they'll make the sleeves match too, as isn't that the intent?
Agreed, and I would think it's more important as a sleeve of a different color is more likely to briefly confuse an opponent then a wrist band.

Personally, I would think the sleeves should need to match the uniform like undershirts do, but it wasn't my call.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 07:39am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed, and I would think it's more important as a sleeve of a different color is more likely to briefly confuse an opponent than a wrist band.

Personally, I would think the sleeves should need to match the uniform like undershirts do, but it wasn't my call.
At least the two-tone ones are out.

btw Fixed it for ya!
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 08:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Turn In Your Badge ???

Quote:
I'm a thinking they'll make the sleeves match too, as isn't that the intent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed, and I would think it's more important as a sleeve of a different color is more likely to briefly confuse an opponent then a wrist band. Personally, I would think the sleeves should need to match the uniform like undershirts do, but it wasn't my call.
Thank God I'm not colorblind. One can't be a pilot with color blindness. If the NFHS keeps adding these "Fashion Police" rules, then eventually you'll need to pass a color blindness test in order to be a basketball official.

Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 08:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thank God I'm not colorblind. One can't be a pilot with color blindness. If the NFHS keeps adding these "Fashion Police" rules, then eventually you'll need to pass a color blindness test in order to be a basketball official.

I'm one of the more color-blind people you will come across. I only see 2 of the number above, 25 and 56.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 09:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Huh?

There are numbers in the circles?
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:28am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
thank god i'm not colorblind. One can't be a pilot with color blindness. If the nfhs keeps adding these "fashion police" rules, then eventually you'll need to pass a color blindness test in order to be a basketball official.

25 29

45 56

6 8

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Try This One ???

Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Burn Notice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm one of the more color-blind people you will come across. I only see 2 of the number above, 25 and 56.
Sorry to have to tell you this. Please turn in your "Fashion Police" badge, gun, and secret decoder ring. You're through in this business.

Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
There are numbers in the circles?
What circles?