Thread: Crazy play
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, I'll tell you my Resuming-Play-Procedure story from when my daughter played. I know I am remembering this correctly, even though I wasn't a ref at the time it happened. I was fascinated at the way it went and how obvious the rules were and how clearly the ref communicated the whole situation.

Girls varsity, third quarter, close playoff game. Full time out (we had fulls back then, not 60s). Horn sounds. Ref blows. Horn sounds again. No one breaks. Ref blows....blows again. Finally put ball down for V. Neither huddle breaks. Ref gives the full treatment with a big visual 5-count. Blows whistle again. Yells loudly, "Benson ball! White ball!" Still, neither huddle breaks. Ref begins 5-count again. At this point, one of my daughter's (Benson, home) teammates recognizes the situation, grabs her friend and races across the floor, grabs the ball, and tosses it to friend, who shoots an easy three. As this is happening, V coach sees Benson grab what he thinks should be his ball, he runs onto the floor and gets a T. Benson hits both free throws, and gets the ball at half-court. V players are rattled. Benson throws in, player dribbles to sweet spot and hits another easy three. Eight quick points because one little Benson gal knew the rules! It would be an even better story if Benson had just won!