View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

points of emphasis - I would like to see

If it were up to me here are two specific points of emphasis I would like to see.

1. 3 step travel on drives to the basket. And I know the travel rule and that it is based on the pivot foot but 3 steps without dribbling = travel. If I were a coach I would seriously consider teaching my players to take 3 steps on drives to the basket. It is rarely called and it is a huge advantage to the offensive player. I am seeing it at all levels. On a right hand layup player picks the ball up on his left foot and steps with his right foot and then jumps off left(pivot) foot for the layup. This is almost standard form now. Often a player uses the change of direction between steps since it is possible to do when taking 3 steps.

2. Above the waist crossover dribble. This I see mostly at higher levels. As a fan or ref it does not look like a big advantage but as a defensive player it is a huge advantage to the offense. A defender can have perfect defensive position and force the offensive player to cross over and the defender can have his hand in the place where the ball has to bounce but if the offensive player uses the above the waist crossover then the ball bounces on the other side of the defender. If you have not seen this play it has the offesive player dribbling on his right side and when the ball reaches hip level the offensive player places his hand under the ball and while maintaining contact with the ball pushes the ball above his waist and across his body to his left hip where he releases the ball.

One more point. On the 3 step travel, I find it easy to pickup from the stands or on TV. In two person which is all we do in my area, I find it very difficult to pick this up as lead. On drives to the basket my focus is more on offensive and defensive positioning and potential fouls. Obviously, I need to do a better job of picking this up but my point is this is not an easy call to make but it really needs to be made. Here is one instance in two person where I would welcome help(whistle) from my partner.